Double closed end hidden clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

This was my first double closed end and second hidden clip. First time using apple wood too.

The finish is pens plus and unfortunately is duller than it was after a ca snafu. That led to have to buff it after the clip was glued in which also led me into a forced pens plus experiment and can let you know that buffing pens plus dulls the finish a little bit. It still looks decent but lost some of the gloss.

Attachments

• image-2004295236.jpg
    image-2004295236.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 302
  • image-1039922557.jpg
    image-1039922557.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 311
  • image-311510415.jpg
    image-311510415.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 207
  • image-583431424.jpg
    image-583431424.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Dan... Pushing your envelope! :)

I am not looking at the finish for this comment - I'm looking at the form.

I looked at the pictures in reverse order :eek: And thought the lower end was a bit "fat." Then as I pulled up the pictures right to left, they came into perspective.

I would still vote for a slightly (very slightly) thinner lower section, but the final pen as posted is still great!

I like the apple - a nice change in material. I have a bunch and have liked the colors.

FWIW: I'm looking at form from a turner that has not done closed ends (yet), so my comments are not inclusive of experience!!!

Be well!

its_virgil

Hidden clip, huh? I can see it!:biggrin::biggrin:
Seriously, nice job. Hidden clips are fun to do as are closed end pens. Both on the same pen is twice the fun and quite the wow factor.

How did you cut the slot? I have tried several methods and have found using my wood burner with a thin and wide tip makes the job fast and accurate. I have pictures and if I can find them I will post one in this thread.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

southernclay

Great pen Dan. I think this is my favorite one I've seen you post. I'm trying my first closed end soon and have a double closed on the radar. In my mind the Atrax is the perfect platform too weighing out quality/price and simple centerband.

Fantastic and the hidden clip is a really nice touch. The apple is pretty sweet too. I'd have to see it glossy but I like the duller look.

Good work!

OZturner

Beautiful Pen, Dan.
Love the double closed ends, and the hidden clip.
Fruit woods are a special favourite of mine.
Excellent Profile, and Fit
Superb.
Brian.

Dan Masshardt

Hidden clip, huh? I can see it!:biggrin::biggrin: Seriously, nice job. Hidden clips are fun to do as are closed end pens. Both on the same pen is twice the fun and quite the wow factor. How did you cut the slot? I have tried several methods and have found using my wood burner with a thin and wide tip makes the job fast and accurate. I have pictures and if I can find them I will post one in this thread. Do a good turn daily! Don

I used a Dremel engraving / carving bit. A tiny one.

I want to get a tip for my burner. I have the razertip. I haven't found the right tip for it yet. Might have to get another brand and an adapter.

What brand / tip profile do you use?

its_virgil

Dan,
Here is what I once used until I won a nice wood burning kit. I heated it with a propane torch. I'll look and see what I have and the tip I used.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• Figure 4 copy.JPG
    Figure 4 copy.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 150
  • Figure 5 copy.JPG
    Figure 5 copy.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 149

Bryguy

Very nice pen. The hidden clip looks great !I have a chunk of apple wood I need to cut into blanks,you've inspired mre to get on with it.

lwalper

I'll have to try that! Good looking pen. So, how do you get the clip to stay in there? You'd need to cut a pretty wide slot to fit a standard clip in there. Do you remove some of the material from the clip to get it to fit in a smaller hole and then glue it in?

Last edited:

its_virgil

Dan,
Russ Fairfield actually showed me the technique of burning the slot for the clip when we were demonstrating together at the Utah symposium. He tells which tip he uses with his wood burning gun in that article. My wood burner is not the same as his but I use the calligraphy tip made for mine also.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Dan Masshardt

Hi Dan... Pushing your envelope! :) I am not looking at the finish for this comment - I'm looking at the form. I looked at the pictures in reverse order :eek: And thought the lower end was a bit "fat." Then as I pulled up the pictures right to left, they came into perspective. I would still vote for a slightly (very slightly) thinner lower section, but the final pen as posted is still great! I like the apple - a nice change in material. I have a bunch and have liked the colors. FWIW: I'm looking at form from a turner that has not done closed ends (yet), so my comments are not inclusive of experience!!! Be well!

I've not turned enough of these closed ends to know yet what is the sweet spot for sizes.

Even more then the thickness, another decision to make us how to shape the ends.

I plan to try some very different options and see what I like best.

Thanks.

Top Bottom