Double Closed End El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lane223

Status
Not open for further replies.

lane223

Here's another segmented pen......
Sorry, couldn't do it. Can you imagine gluing all those little pieces?
Blank and kit is from Bear Tooth Woods; Dalmatian Confetti. Great place to do business. The clear chunks show all the way through. I painted the tubes and blank white, but it looks like it had a weird reaction with the CA. I have one lesson learned on the closed end cap. Make sure the cap material is supported/glued to the brass tube for at least a 1/8" If not it will break off just after you spent all your time shaping and polishing.

200812115114_IMG_1391.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Please, please, please, lose that background.[:0] Bright red is way too intense and distracting from the pen.

Did this start out to be a double closed end and that's the reason for the title? The finial looks to be from the EG kit, which means it isn't actually a double closed end. Look in Russ Fairfield's, Vick's and Bjackman's albums and you'll see quite a few double closed end pens, with the clip ring buried in the cap material. When you do a closed end pen, it isn't necessary to use a full length tube. Using a shorter tube means you don't have to drill the entire depth with the larger drill bit, so the tube and the hole are a lot less likely to show. I only paint in the inside of the blank, but I always give it at least 2 coats and sometimes more, depending on how much larger the hole is than the tube. But, you did a good job on it.

lane223

Ok Gerry the red pillow goes back on the sofa, never to be used in photos again. Actually it is a double closed end. Here is a closer look:

2008121193731_IMG_1433.jpg

Here are a couple other types. They are not closed ends, but made of the same material. Is there a IAP term or name for that?

2008121194037_IMG_1438.jpg

vick

Originally posted by lane223
<br />

Here are a couple other types. They are not closed ends, but made of the same material. Is there a IAP term or name for that?

2008121194037_IMG_1438.jpg
I call them custom finals, though that is not official.

gerryr

I agree with Mike. The term "closed end", at least here, has always meant that it was made from a single piece of material. This is a double closed end El Toro.

2008121202147_ElToroDCE.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
Closed end or not, that is a really neat looking pen! I love the contrasting colors. I gotta agree with the guys about the background, though. I've been learning a lot from them, and against <b>my</b> better judgment I've gotten rid of most of my crazy backgrounds, but I still like to try an end run every now and then to see if I can fool 'em. Beautiful pen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom