Double Closed End Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

Here is my second attempt at a Double closed end pen. I used rosewood and segmented a piece of buckeye burl to the end to look like ash. I used a cigar label my buddy gave to me. I turned the pen to fit the label, soI wouldn't have to break it and glue back on. I learned quite alot on this one and think I can improve upon it. I apprecite you folks looking and comments are always welcome.
CigarPen032.jpg

CigarPen036.jpg

CigarPen033.jpg

CigarPen034.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

S.A.Mappin

Pretty cool!! I know these aren't the easiest to make, trying to keep both ends matching in size pretty much requires the use of a caliper.

Keep at it!!

ragz

OK
This is a little on the nitpicky side and I'm not totally sure of it's the pen or the photo. The top photo it looks like the cap is a touch oversized and out of round to the body like I said though it may be an illusion from the label in the photo.

The buckeye segment you got is perfect for the ash!

Fire and anyone else thinking of doing these.....

Do you smoke cigars? If so think about how the real thing looks like and how the ash looks on the cigar. If not, google the real thing. If someone gives you a band google it. Even if you do smoke them google the cigar from the band provided to see what they look like for the shape and ash section. The reason I mention this is for a couple of reasons. 1 You have to get used to not making the body and cap "perfect". Your's is a perfect test tube shape. While it shows you are very good at making straight bodied pens and symetrical curves, an illusion pen like this needs to be a little on the rougher side. Maybe think about some very slight undulations down the body nothing so big that it wouldn't roll straight across a surface but that you can feel if you run your finger down it. Also if you smoke or google them and see the reviews you can think about adding the little things like the burn ring at the ash section. You could airbrush that in (besure to use white for the hotspots)or use a small butane torch and burn it a little. This will help you the most in creating the illusion.

Think about putting the ash on the cap end. Then if you do a torpedo type cigar the cap can post on the tapered end. Also think about a satin finish, or spraying the finish at near dry distance or both.

It looks like you used a panache kit which is a great choice since they kind of lend themselves to this type pen. Did you recess the cap hardware into the cap? If you want to hide the line between the cap and body, square up those ends as much as possible and make that section as exact as possible. It won't disappear completely but you can reduce it as much as possible by doing this.

Maybe more then you were looking for and my apologies but I got on a roll :biggrin:. If anyone has any questions, fire away.

firewhatfire

I did recess the cap into it(that was fun). It is actually a Jr Gent 1 kit from Smitty or CS. I dont smoke cigars and not planning on starting. The band is out of round as I tried to turn the blank to fit the band with out cutting it and regluing it down. I ended up with a hump but I CA'd it enough to cover most of it.

Keep the comments and critiques coming I need all of em.

Phil

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Phil, my comment is Nice work. The pen looks good to me. I've often considered making a pen like this but, so far....nothing.:redface: Good job.

Top Bottom