Double Closed End Cherry Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithbyrd

keithbyrd

I made this to fill an order - El Grande Double Closed end - I had a cherry log with a nice burl on it laying around and decided to cut it up. This was probably the prettiest Cherry Burl I've seen. I know it was the prettiest I have worked with!
Comments and Criticisms welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Immediately I assumed it was a fountain pen. So I was surprised to see the nib! Excellent piece of wood and I certainly like your design. Thanks for posting it.

SDB777

Immediately I assumed it was a fountain pen. So I was surprised to see the nib! Excellent piece of wood and I certainly like your design. Thanks for posting it.

Same thing I was thinking....ink well for a fountain. But your a trickster with the rollerball!

Scott (use the whole burl at once?) B

keithbyrd

Same thing I was thinking....ink well for a fountain. But your a trickster with the rollerball!

Scott (use the whole burl at once?) B
No still have several pieces of it left - can turn at least a couple more pens!

keithbyrd

Closed end

i just did something very similar, i'm curious if you could share the process you used,
Thanks !

I used closed end mandrels that I got from Arizona Silloutte a few months back. I actually made two pens - the first exploded! The first pen unit was 100% burl like the base and didn't have enough strength in the wood and it snapped at the tube. The next one had more wood grain so it was stronger.
I recommend sharp tools, light cuts.
On the pen be sure you drill the hole for the tube and without changing the blank put in a 7mm bit and drill a hole 1/2-7/8 deep to be able to hold the refill spring.
When sanding sand lighly - again you don't want to break the pen. This one extends past the tube about 2.5-3 inches
The base is actually simply the cap - threads etc are in the base. The only part of the pen kit that you don't use are the clip and refill spring housing.
Arizona Sillouette has a video by Ed Davison on making closed end pins - at least they did before it was sold.

I want to figure out how to make the base with an angled pen holder.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Sweet Keith!! I like the end treatment, that little bevel is a great touch...not to mention the wood!! I have that DVD!! No mystery to closed-end anymore!

Top Bottom