Double closed end Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pmpartain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmpartain

Made this the other day. A guy from work gave me some black locust firewood. That made the base. The top is dyed box elder burl. I guess the sun had aged the locust a lot yellower than the unexposed wood. After turning, I thought it looked a little bland. I used a propane torch to singe the growth rings. Came out ok I think. I'm not sure if the boxelder goes with the base though. It also turned out a little on the long side.
2007819182011_DESK%20PEN.jpg

What do you guys say?
Thanks for any constructive criticism.

Petricore

The top looks like you made one of those cup and ball toys, where you tie a ball on and try to get it in the top :D

In all seriousness I like the design. The burn marks dont do alot for me, but I like the overall shape of the base, and think you pulled off the shape of the pen very well. Might actually inspire me to do one of these someday :)

Texatdurango

I like the boxelder burl and the shape of the lower barrel but to be honest, I think the top should have stayed as firewood.

I think what would really look sharp is to get the same color boxelder burl or gloss black acrylic in a 1 1/2" square x 2" long "bottle stopper" size blank and make the base out of it.

George

pmpartain

I tend to agree about that base. I like the shape, but the wood leaves something to be desired to me. The burning was an interesting experiment and I have to say it does look better in person. People that have seen it say they like it, but I'm sure they are being kind. I was going to try the feet on the base like Ed Davidson does, but the wife talked me into leaving it flat. Wouldn't have helped anyway in my opinion and would have been more work.

Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom