Double Closed-end Amboyna Fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Halfcaff

Halfcaff

This is similar to the double closed-end I made last weekend but I thought a fountain would be more appropriate. I made the bottom barrel about 1.5cm longer than I did last time. The centerband is made from trustone turquoise and buckeye burl. I am more pleased with how the hidden clip turned out this time. The hardest part that I have found is the final snapping it into place. I am so worried that I am going to squash the cap. Its finished in my same way with 8 coats of CA and Renwax. So glad I got a bit of sapwood incorporated in the pen (didn't think it would fit).

I am trying to step it up a notch on the photos. Let me know what you think about the pen and photos....good or bad!

What would you charge for this pen if you were to sell it? I'm not sure I would even part with it, but if I were I don't know where to start with a price. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 382
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 378
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurnaPen

Really like it, very well done and especially the hidden clip, did you manually cut the blank for the clip or did you use a laser cutter? Also impressed with the centre band work, and having said all that-what about the beautiful figure in the wood, top notch. Amos:)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a stunning piece of work, Caleb! I just love everything about it. The turquoise accent is genius!

Oh, yeah, nice photos, too!

SDB777

Wow!! Got to get one of those big smiley things with a Thumbs-Up!!!

Still trying to get my mind around the clip....

Photo's:
Lighting looks really good...spot on there.
Focus looks to be just in front of the pen(notice cap just a wee-bit out of focus).....I'd bump it to a little more depth of field

Scott (ive you an "A", good solid "A"....photo wise) B

Halfcaff

Really like it, very well done and especially the hidden clip, did you manually cut the blank for the clip or did you use a laser cutter? Also impressed with the centre band work, and having said all that-what about the beautiful figure in the wood, top notch. Amos:)

Amos, I manually cut the hole for the clip. A really small drill bit and an Xacto knife. I put a hole in the middle of where I wanted the clip and then just slowly widened it with the Xacto to fit the clip.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am happy with how the tru-stone came out as well! I am looking forward to trying other materials for the centerbands.

ToddMR

I like the pen a lot. I have not turned that kind of wood yet but always like how nice it looks. The finish, closed ends, and cb all look great to me. Nicely done.

phillywood

Does anyone have any thoughts about how much I should sell this for??? Is $150 too much?
My thought is that you made a nice quality pen of high caliper why not if you have the market for it. if your clientele base are in the group that appreciate nice workmanship and wiling to pay for it I'd try if I were you.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow, that is really great!! Every time I see a hidden clip, I look for a big ugly hole, but this looks superb. Helluva finish too!!!

SteveG

I do direct sales to guests (tourists) at a resort on Kauai. If I had that pen on my table, I would put it in a nice box ($12 at PSI), price it and sell it for at least $395, or maybe over $400. That is a very nice pen, with broad appeal for the higher end market. Great job! Now, I must head out to my shop and attempt to make a pen that approaches what you have done.

Halfcaff

I do direct sales to guests (tourists) at a resort on Kauai. If I had that pen on my table, I would put it in a nice box ($12 at PSI), price it and sell it for at least $395, or maybe over $400. That is a very nice pen, with broad appeal for the higher end market. Great job! Now, I must head out to my shop and attempt to make a pen that approaches what you have done.

Wow Steve! Really that much, that's great. You want to sell it for me....ha ha. You will have to post your attempt. Your post reminds me that I want to try turning some Koa!
Caleb

Top Bottom