Dots&dots 1176

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
It ok to "PICK";) this one apart, I did it for fun.
edit in
I just love those fancy slimlines!This one is Tn from Woodturningz

200695155710_DOTS%20003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

tooth picks. I can see where you are going. The biggest issue with the lite bright was the sides where the toothpicks get elongated. I see many different pens that suffer that design issue. Lets see if you can be the first to resolve a symmetrical design.

Fangar

That looks like you "Picked" a winner. I like it. They almost look like flowers. I have named this pen "Flower Power".

Thanks for sharing,

Fangar

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />tooth picks. I can see where you are going. The biggest issue with the lite bright was the sides where the toothpicks get elongated. I see many different pens that suffer that design issue. Lets see if you can be the first to resolve a symmetrical design.
I already did it in LItebrite II
It is on the second page of my album, the pattern repeats on 4 sides.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />They almost look like flowers. I have named this pen "Flower Power".

Thanks for sharing,

Fangar

James, the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "Hey, it's a hippy pen."

Definitely has an interesting look, Eagle. In fact, you gave me an idea, if I can ever get around to it.[;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />Cool pen, Eagle. Inventive as always. Did you just make some 'toothpick' dowels, and did you drill the holes all the way through or just spot them in?
I don't want to do a turtorial, but basically I made an octagon blanks and drilled the holes on the DP.
I used graph paper taped to a makeshift fence for the spacing.
I would drill one one hole advance one space and rotate the blank and drill again.I wound up with a spiral set of holes on the blank.
What I was experimenting with was the method of gluing and coloring the toothpicks in.
All the tooth picks were put in right out of the box, I didn't colore them until after each drilling session was done.Some of the toothpicks were colored four times.The blank was maple.
I expected each "Dye" session to produce something like a rainbow around each new hole, but that didn't happen.
The whole blank was dyed each time I redrilled .Of course it had to be resurfaced each time I took it out of the dye mixture.
I didn't put any CA on the tooth picks until after the blank was drilled.

emackrell

Eagle what a neat design! Bet it was fun to make. It certainly is fun to look at!

Just for my curiosity, you said you expected each dye session to produce a rainbow around each new hole -- that's the only part of your post I didn't follow. What would create the rainbow effect? The overlapping layers of dye?

Cheers Eileen [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
What would create the rainbow effect? The overlapping layers of dye?

Perhaps "rainbow" was a poor choice of words.I did expect a blending of colors. Each time I drilled a spiral of holes and inserted the tooth picks and dyed them, I expected the wood surrounding the hole to absorb the dye.
Since there was four differnt colors used I thought the wood surround the picks to absrb the color.
What suprised me was the color of the finished pen.
Yellow was the last color I used because it was the lightest but it is the predominant color of the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom