Don't Press to Hard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tony's Pens

Tony's Pens

As a New Turner of Pens, I have learned a lot from mistakes. Attached is a picture of my first Pen with a special clip. It was make from Corian and turned very well. When I got through pressing the pen together I noticed there was and small indention on the tip from where I pressed it in the pen press. I learned that it is best to put the tip toward the other end of the pen press rather than the nylon side where the small hole is. Can't really see it in the picture. Otherwise I think the pen turned out nicely. I gave it to brother in law and he never noticed. So keep it quite.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Attached is a slim line not a cigar. On cigard you can unscrew the nib before you press it together to avoid getting a warp in the nib. (DAMHIKT)

Rfturner

Great Job on the pen. I have made many pens from corian and one of my biggest mistakes was too much pressure. Corian does not like to be stressed, it can crack when you are putting the pen parts together. PM me if you have any questions.

thewishman

My first pen had a golf clip just like yours. The kit was a gift from my penturning friend.

What is that old saying? Give a man a pen and he'll enjoy writing with it, teach a man to make a pen and there goes all his free time and discretionary income and garage space and internet time and conversation subjects and vacation plans...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Dent

As a New Turner of Pens, I have learned a lot from mistakes. Attached is a picture of my first Pen with a special clip. It was make from Corian and turned very well. When I got through pressing the pen together I noticed there was and small indention on the tip from where I pressed it in the pen press. I learned that it is best to put the tip toward the other end of the pen press rather than the nylon side where the small hole is. Can't really see it in the picture. Otherwise I think the pen turned out nicely. I gave it to brother in law and he never noticed. So keep it quite.

Are you saying that the nylon block on the pen press dented the nib/tip? I would assume it happened when installing the twist mechanism. I can't see any dent but I'll take your word that one is there.

RAdams

Banned
Are you saying that the nylon block on the pen press dented the nib/tip? I would assume it happened when installing the twist mechanism. I can't see any dent but I'll take your word that one is there.

I think what he means is that the nib was in the hole in the nylon block, and when he pressed the pen together, It left an indention around the nib about 1/8" above the very tip of the nib.

My press came with the same nylon block with a hole in the center, and a metal block on the other end. I turned a wooden "Sleeve" to fit over the metal block. No problems since.

Tony's Pens

Yes I was talking about the small hole in the nylon block and it happened when installing the tip on he pen blank. I to have also turned the pen tip or NIB around towards the other way. As far as not seeing it in the picture, it is hard to see it in person but I know it is there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom