Dont Make Fun of My Photos...Thuya Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from grub32

grub32

Life sucks!! I want to spend more time on my spinner to make some shavings. I guess I will have to quit my job and live off my wifes paycheck : ) Yah, that'll go over well.

I have been getting mad at looking at all your beauties so I figured I would stay up late and make some magic of my own.

This is a black Ti Jr Gent in Thuya Burl and actually finished with lacquer. I really like the softness of the wood. I made the same pen for a colleague of mine in lacewood in a CA finish and they didnt like how shiny it was (shocker) so I gave this a try and I like it.

Anyway, comments are welcomed...I photographed on a piece of paper next to my puter with the flash of my camera and a CFL overhead so pic is not the best.

Grub32

Attachments

• Thuya.jpg
    Thuya.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Beautiful pen Grub32 , the Black Ti kit compliments the wood perfectly . Well done .:good::good::good:
I would love to have a tutorial like that if you could pull it off .:eek::biggrin::bananen_smilies051:

erbymcbrayer

You did a great job with both the pen and the photo, and all us guys are waiting to see how to pull this full time turning off. Hopr it works so we all can learn . We are waiting for further instructiona. Erby McBrayer Apopka, Florida

PostalBob

Nice Pen

Like you I try to make everyone happy, you know that is not going to happen.
I love my CA finish most, but I still get that few calls for a flat finish.

But you did a nice job on that pen and like some others I love turning that pen, did few with corian sold the first day.
Goog luck, You do nice work.

randyrls

Like you I try to make everyone happy, you know that is not going to happen.
I love my CA finish most, but I still get that few calls for a flat finish.

But you did a nice job on that pen and like some others I love turning that pen, did few with corian sold the first day.
Goog luck, You do nice work.

Yep; I prefer a flat finish for wood. I use a CA finish and for the last step, I rub with 4-0 steel wool. I can do a satin or flat finish depending on how heavy handed I am.

The burls need a shiny coat though. I have one ready to assemble now.

Skye

If you're used to CA, make sure you give that lacquer enough time to cure before handing it to them.

grub32

Thanks for the comments...

I actually did fill the eyes of the wood with CA and it was stabilized using a polyacrylic urethane from minwax and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

I hope the wife finally realizes how important my hobby is and lets me quit my day job...I will even help here study when I make her go back to school so she can make more money to support us : )

Thanks for all the nice feedback, I liked this pen so much that I went out and got some more Thuya burl. It works very nicely and finishes great.

Grub32

grub32

Share the finishing secret...

Basically, I used a spray on lacquer...I sprayed it onto a piece of cloth and rubbed it down several times...It dries fast...Could it be any easier? I think not!

Grub32

Top Bottom