Don't Laugh My First Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dweir

dweir

Okay, I suck at photography, so don't even go there. Here is my first attempt at a sierra using amboyna burl. I used CA as a filler and buffed using Beall. Amboynia is really difficult to turn, I had a blow out even using a very sharp spindle gouge and skew. A fellow co-worker offered me 100 bux for this thing. Jeez, I did not think it was worth more that about 30 bux.

I am purchasing a new digital camera and going to have my Wife take the photos from now on. She is pretty darned good. I took this one with a 9 year old sony Mavica that uses floppy disks... Ancient.

thanks for all your help on my questions...
Dave

200826222856_MVC-001F.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dweir

No on the 100. I sold it for 45, since there was a blowout. I used a little Skill and Fill to "hide it", under the clip. I need to "steal" the wife's Nikon camera to make some nice shots. She always has it with her. Nice one, has 5 megapix and 2 gig SD card. My computer does not even have a floppy drive, I use my daughters computer and upload to a thumbdrive.. Lotsa work, but is doable for now. Need to sell more pens to get a good camera.

Dave

dweir

The box is one I picked up at my local woodcraft. $3.99 I think was the price. Thanks for the compliments. I am still really new at this and still working on my technique. I am sure yall have seen much better and probably much worse.

I suck, but am improving....

Thanks,
Dave

rlharding

:D:DROTFLMAO!!!!:D:D:D

oops, sorry..I was laughing at your comment that we would have seen things much better than your pen. Based on that and your other negative comments I would say STOP. You are putting yourself down - which is a bad thing regardless, but you have made a great pen. This was reflected in your co-workers request to buy it for $100. I assume they handled and had a good look. You have also done a very nice repair. Let's see more of your work.

igran7

Dave, GREAT LOOKING PEN! We should all be proud to make such a pen. I agree with Ruth, you need to stop putting yourself down. You made a beautiful pen and made a decent profit for your efforts. Next time someone offers you you more than you think its worth, have enough confidence in your work and enough confidence in their judgement to accept their offer.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful pen, Dave!

Yeah what Joe said.

Stop being down on yourself and take the money. The work you put into it to make it come out this nice was probably worth it. And I bet he will never know it "wasn't perfect."

dweir

Thanks for the compliments. I am trying to make decent pens. I am really proud of my work, but have much to learn before I can make some of the "works of art" that have been posted here. I tend to put myself down, but I should not. I have only been turning since X-mas.

dweir

Yep, Only been turning for about a month. I have taken a class at my local WC and the instructor said I was a "natural" and that was over a year ago. I puttered in my Grandad's shop when I was young and he showed me some basics, now rest his soul. He passed when I was 16 and I never got to really apprentice under him. He was a master on the lathe and one heck of a woodworker, since he made fine furniture for a living and most of it was using "neander" tools (by hand like Roy Underhill).

Really, my secret is razor sharp tools and a lot of "file 13".

Dave

bitshird

Dave, I don't think it's any thing to laugh at, I'd smile and thank the man as I handed him a very nice pen, and accept his gracious offer [8D][8D][}:)]

Top Bottom