Don't laugh, and a couple of first's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jd99

jd99

Last year I decided to try my hand at this pen thing and bought a lathe for Christmas, but my back decided to put the kabosh on that venture and other projects for the year, and the lathe sat in the box all year.

This year I finally got a little better and bought a stand for the lathe, put it together, mounted the lathe, and sharpened my tools, and gave it a a try.

Below is my first ever attempt at turning a pen, and my first ever attempt at using CA as a finish. I didn't want to scrap a good blank, so I used a scrap of Beech that I had laying around for the blank, and a slim line kit just in case I screwed it all up and had to throw it all away.

I know I have a way to go but it turned out ok for a couple of first. Now if my back will stay strong and not give out expect to see more of my attempt to master this hobby.

Oh and I took thes pic's with my phone, I need to master the photo side of it with my regular camera also. :rolleyes:

Thanks
Danny

Attachments

• 2011-12-29_04-32-30_904.jpg
    2011-12-29_04-32-30_904.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 2011-12-29_04-32-48_414.jpg
    2011-12-29_04-32-48_414.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Nothing wrong with turning Beech! I think it's an excellent wood species...

As for the first, well I think you did just fine.

Scott (but there'll be so many firsts) B

OOPS

Although I have made many pens since then, I still look with admiration at my first pen, "warts and all." And your pen looks fine. I have never tried beech before, but I might have to do one now that I have seen it. Also, if you have a back problem, you might want to remember that you don't HAVE to finish the pen all at once. You can work on it a bit, sit down and rest, then go back after it. There is no race to the finish.

paintspill

great first. very well done. your in trouble now.

as for the back, i've happened across a few forums about turning sitting down. might be worth a look. its bad enough you have to work like that it shouldn't have to ruin your hobby

alphageek

Former Moderator
Nice looking first pen, without a doubt. As for "mastering the hobby" - when you figure that one out, be sure to share with the rest of us. Welcome to the vortex!

Drstrangefart

DUDE! Great work on it! Don't diminish it just because it's a first. Looks like you have a good bit figured out already. I like the beech. It lends itself to a lot of design options.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I can't offer any advice on the pen as there is nothing wrong with it.
I too periodically suffer with my back and the best thing I can advise is to raise your lathe so your back is NEVER bent over and also get a good rubber floor mat in front of it. :wink:

bitshird

Nice pen for a first try, and as was said work a while then rest, also get your lathe height right for you, the stands that come with them usually are too short, and bending is the last thing you want to do. Beech isn't a bad wood to turn, congratulations and we will be starting a 12 step program for recovering pen turners soon

jd99

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the setup advice for the lathe height, I will be looking to make sure I'm not bending over too much If I am I will raise it.

I need to make some tools this weekend, I am going to make a blank cutting sled for the band saw like the one I saw on here last year which uses the tube to set the length, and I need to make a vacuum chamber (thanks to Curtis for allowing me to use his as an example), and I need to make a press, I have an extra custom made arbor press that I made for a customer when I was a tool and die maker that is small.
I am going to modify the arbor end and platen with guides to hold the pen square. Should work fine it's free and I already have it.:biggrin:

After I get better at this the wife wants to try her hand at casting, so we will be looking in to that a little later on.

I hope 2012 goes a lot better then 2011, I for one wont miss this last year, been one of those life challenge type of years. :mad:

Ya all have a Happy New Year.
:party::drink::bananen_smilies046:
Thanks Again
Danny.

Top Bottom