Don't forget to reverse paint your worthless wood casts!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Chalk this up to learning something new on every pen.

This pen taught me the need to reverse paint or paint the tubes on worthless wood casts. I didn't even think about it because it was 90% wood but lesson learned.

The other thing is that I need to vacuum up my shop floor because it took me a while to find some of the major pieces to recover from this blowout and to always keep shavings handy from the material you are turning to fill in what pieces you can't find.

Attachments

• IMG_0213_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0213_1 (Custom).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0214_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0214_1 (Custom).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0216_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0216_1 (Custom).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0197 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0197 (Small).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Great looking pen there Carl. I to have learned the Reverse paint on WW on a very nice blank. I still have it but I can't use it becasue I want to cry......

Carl Fisher

I think I painted that black/silver oak blank on the panache because it was quite a bit higher resin to wood ratio. This one I thought I could get away with...but I was mistaken :(

76winger

Nice save Carl!

I'm assuming the reverse painting wouldn't have prevented the blowout, but it's worth doing so the brass doesn't show through the acrylic portion. Is that correct?

Carl Fisher

The reverse painting was only for the brass that is showing. I really didn't think it would get that thin where the resin was but there in is the lesson :)

The blowout was me touching up a burr from the CA with my carbide tool. It must have bit in a bit harder than I intended and it blew out at the joint of the resin and wood.

Top Bottom