Don't Fear the Gator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plano_harry

plano_harry

This is my first gator (and first SOYP, but who's counting?) I put off trying gator because of the fear factor and high cost of failure. After seeing Tom Barron turn one at our North Texas pen meeting, I thought, I can do that... Tom's Mangrove Red seems to have this crazy glow in the center of the teeth sockets which makes it look internally lit. Probably didn't get there in my photos, but this thing looks battery powered in person! I was thinking of Retro or Gent hardware, but when I saw the finished result, I upgraded to non-posting Jr. Statesman :)

No problems drilling (just kept the bit cool for safety) or turning (stopped frequently for CA bath). Definitely going to do more of these!

I hope you like it -- all C&C are welcome.

Harry

Attachments

• Mangrove Red Gator Closed 800.jpg
    Mangrove Red Gator Closed 800.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 446
  • Mangrove Red Gator Open 800.jpg
    Mangrove Red Gator Open 800.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 344
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Great attention to detail by making the sockets line up !! Even the extra effort with the photo presentation deserves merit. Very well done !!

Jjartwood

Beautiful,with that caliber work you should be posting alot more pics of your work
the rest of us need to see nice work like that.
(it keeps us honest)
Nice
Mark

Lenny

Price it high then tell potential customers you can make them one cheaper but THEY are going to have to get the jawbone for that one! :biggrin:

Great looking pen! :cool:

longbeard

Yours turned out way better than mine. Really looks great.
I see you "humped'' yours just a little, whereas i did not, i lost some of the teeth sockets on mine and i even drilled just a hair off center. I put it on a chrome Atrax FP.

plano_harry

Looks great. Did you paint the tubes or the blank and what color?

I went with a dark red on the hole, nothing on the tubes. Did not tint the epoxy. Forgot to mention, I went after with a woodchuck penpro on edge like a skew -- that is my fallback approach when failure is not an option.:)

Harry

SDB777

The red acrylic works well with the bone and it does well with the kit it is on. Well thought out, and well turned!

Scott (bone up for the bone) B

Top Bottom