DONE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

A short time ago I landed a commission for 30 pens, with the possibility the number would go up (quite a bit). I landed the order (not in a small way) by offering up the wonderful pens from Lazerlinez. These pens are to be used as gifts to business folk outside the US who are contemplating a move here. So the "MADE IN THE USA" feature was a real good fit (when I pitched the USA thing, their eyes got wide - sale made!). Plus there is a requirement that the pens be wood and from trees native to Michigan.

So, off I go to find wood. And did I ever! Scored some absolutely stunning cherry burl on eBay, some wonderful Honey Locust burl there, too, and some spectacular figured walnut from another place. Add in the birdseye maple, the box elder and a few others and I'm thinking I may not need to go offshore anymore. These woods are a visual feast!

They chose the Raven - 10 fountain pens and 20 rollerballs.

I'm only going to show a representative sample below (as much as I'd like to brag, 30 would be a bit much) So, take a look. 10 coats of thin CA, wet sanded to 2000, then Novus 3 and 2. After that a quick buff on the Beall wheels with Tripoli and white diamond.

Comments welcome.
attachment.php
Cherry burl 1
attachment.php
Cherry burl 2 (this stuff was just stunning!)
attachment.php
Birdseye Maple (beautiful - lots of eyes)
attachment.php
Figured black Walnut 1
attachment.php
Figured black Walnut 2 (ain't it grand stuff?)
attachment.php
Honey Locust burl. Just gorgeous - haven't seen this before, but not the last!
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Raven Cherry 1.jpg
    Raven Cherry 1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 488
  • Raven Cherry 2.jpg
    Raven Cherry 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 504
  • Raven Birdseye 2.jpg
    Raven Birdseye 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 491
  • Raven Walnut 1.jpg
    Raven Walnut 1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 484
  • Raven Walnut 2.jpg
    Raven Walnut 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 462
  • Raven HoneyLocust 1.jpg
    Raven HoneyLocust 1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great news for the sale. Even better news on the finished pens!

Wonderful finish (for the sale) Ted! I agree on the Honey Locust; an underappreciated timber. (I have lots of Honey Locust - very subtle colors).

The ones you displayed are beautiful. :biggrin: Time to sigh, relax, and plot for the future...

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Ted, Winners all around! Wonderful commission, great choice of pen componets and an awesome find with the timber....not to mention you did a superb job on these pens! Like I said, Winners all around!

OZturner

Superb Order Ted.
Magnificently Fulfilled.
Glorious Assortment of Timbers, Expertly Crafted, and Outstandingly Finished.
Your Choice of the Lazerlinez pens, was Brilliant.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks fo the kind words, all. Yes, Wayne, I have succumbed to that most audacious malady. Now, while that condition is temporarily "put on the shelf", I am looking forward to discovering more "domestic beauties". Isn't it wonderful?

However, I think I may just add to my favorites. Can't totally give up that cocobolo. Or that Padauk. Or that Wenge...... oh, geez, I'm in trouble.

Top Bottom