Doha Explanation Warning, It Is Long!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I moved to Pennsylvania from Louisiana in July of 2004. My wife and son had lived in Hershey PA for about a year due to rather severe problems my son was having.

My daughter and I got to Hershey on a Tuesday evening. Wednesday, Nancy took our son, daughter and me up to Montgomery, said "Here's the house" and went back to Hershey as she was deploying that weekend to Senegal West Africa for a two week humanitarian mission with the Navy Reserve. After that, I thought that living apart was over. Before Thanksgiving, she was re-activated to go to Kuwait for a year to work in a Health Care clinic supporting the soldiers who were serving in Iraq. My first knife, a folder with bubinga scales went with her on the deployment. Doha was the first base at which she served.

Lou Metcalf (DC Bluesman) gave me two kits and two BOW blanks so we could use the same kind of pens even though we were many time zones apart. I made the pens, and had Ken Nelson engrave hers with a map of Kuwait and the Dental Caduceus. Nancy was thrilled, and I was touched by the caring of a friend who knew how much I missed my wife.

The first two photos show the result of Lou's generosity and Ken's skill with the laser.

Unfortunately, one of her shipmates also thought the pen was great, and took it, which is perhaps nicer than saying they stole it.

When Lou learned of that, he simply refused to take no for an answer and send me a new kit and a BOW blank. This time, I decided that using Nancy's name on the pen might discourage pilfering. The second two photos again display Lou's big-heartedness and Ken's skills. This pen survived the deployment and came home with Nancy in time for Thanksgiving 2005.

Thank you Lou, for all you did, and for remembering it after all this time.

Attachments

• Doha.jpg
    Doha.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 406
  • Doha Duo.jpg
    Doha Duo.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Kuwait.jpg
    Kuwait.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 324
  • DTCS.jpg
    DTCS.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 316
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Great Story and some wonderful collaboration by some awesome people ([size=-3] yes even you William[/size]) I'm glad they both made it home.

mick

Great story Cav.....things like this are why I am a member of the IAP....Great people doing great things for others!

Great looking pend andwe hope the wife is home with you and kids for good....and God bless her for her job in the Reserves

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice pens and a great story. I am always amazed at the generosity, kindness, and caring of the people on this site. Best wishes to your family from a turner in La.

Thanks John. I don't remember if I have mentioned it, but my nephew is a police officer in Bossier City. Also, one of my brothers is a surgeon in Shreveport. It has been awhile since I have been back to Louisiana, but I still miss the food!!

J

jackrichington

Please thank your wife for her service...mine served in Iraq and did 23yrs in the army..I know seperation...enjoy your life together

Top Bottom