Dogwood Root Elegant Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

This pen is made from a dogwood root that I had a hard time digging up. Hope you like it.

1_Dogwood_Root_4a.jpg

1_Dogwood_Root_2a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Great looking pen and great looking figure in the wood. I think I actually like the first set of pictures, though (brighter).

-Barry

keithlong

Hey Louis,
Nice pen, I love the colors in that root. I guess the next time I come to visit, gonna have to bring a pick and shovel. HaHaHa

robutacion

Interesting wood with an even more interesting name...!:eek:

Certainly a beautiful piece of wood, and a nice pen.

In regards to the pics, I reckon, with brightness somewhere in between the 2 attempts, would work better for me, I think a little too dark the last lot...!:wink:

Practice makes it good...!:biggrin:

PS: Humm...!, having a hard time "digging" roots...???. yeah, I know a bit about that too...!:mad::)

Cheers
George

bitshird

Louis that's a great piece of root. it almost looks like Olive wood, and I also like the brighter pictures, which ever there's no denying that it is a sweet pen.

jppensplus

LOVE THE LOOK OF THAT DOGWOOD ROOT!! WHAT FINISH DID YOU USE"---IT LOOKS GREAT. BY THE WAY, YOU CAN EASILY DISCERN IF A PIECE OF WOOD IS FROM A DOGWOOD TREE---YOU CAN RECOGNIZE IT BY ITS BARK!!

jp

ctubbs

Louis, are you offering hands on training in digging Dogwood root? That is one nice looking pen. Great timber and the fit and finish is fine too.
Charles

louisbry

LOVE THE LOOK OF THAT DOGWOOD ROOT!! WHAT FINISH DID YOU USE"---IT LOOKS GREAT. BY THE WAY, YOU CAN EASILY DISCERN IF A PIECE OF WOOD IS FROM A DOGWOOD TREE---YOU CAN RECOGNIZE IT BY ITS BARK!!

jp

Thanks jp. I pretty much used my standard CA/BLO finish. Due to the cold weather I used thin CA. Applied about 6 coats, mm to 12000 and polished with Huts plastic polish. PS, the root looks like any other root.

louisbry

Louis, are you offering hands on training in digging Dogwood root? That is one nice looking pen. Great timber and the fit and finish is fine too.
Charles

Charles, come on down and bring gloves to fit your hands. I have several dead dogwood trees on my property, unfortunately due to recent dry weather during the past three years. One year I hand watered over 100 trees hauling buckets of water in my Kawasaki Mule ATV. These trees don't grow too large in their natural environment. (basically in the shade of larger trees)

ctubbs

Louis, that is a true shame on loosing all the beautiful trees. I have lost 4 or 5 in my back woods lot. They sure do make some pretty wood and your working that wood is beautiful. Thanks for the kind offer, but having to bring my own shovel, well, I prefer a Case big yellow diesel shovel. Especially in a woods being I'm a bit on the lazy side.
Charles

Top Bottom