Dogwood root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

223881_189688287757911_100001502242963_491918_3603172_n.jpg

Dogwood root. We had to deal with a small dogwood that had been killed by carpenter ants. We didn't have a chainsaw on hand so we just pushed it down. I took a small folding saw and kept some choice bits. I made the centerband from more of the Bobalu scraps. You would not BELIEVE how hard it pops in sunlight. I put down a few coats of medium CA and then ran it all back off with the coarse MicroMesh and then did more coats of Medium. Worked really well at getting the open grain filled in. I didn't sand anything on it because I didn't want to pack the grain with sawdust.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

Gold Slimline from Smitty's Penworks. I've been converting them to Trimlines with my own centerbands for a better look.

You have done an excellent job on the conversion. I may have to try that myself.

btw.... I see that we are almost neighbors, I am over here in Hiram :)

Drstrangefart

Gold Slimline from Smitty's Penworks. I've been converting them to Trimlines with my own centerbands for a better look.

You have done an excellent job on the conversion. I may have to try that myself.

btw.... I see that we are almost neighbors, I am over here in Hiram :)

Cool! I rode a bike from Smyrna to Hiram and back one day. Intensely regretted it about halfway through. The centerbands are actually pretty easy to make, and they've definitely opened up a world of opportunities to make an inexpensive kit look A TON better. I have a jig for it and all you NEED besides that is a pen mill and a 1/4 inch bit in your drill press to make them.

Hubert H

Nice finish. I like it that you didn't take the easy way and fill in the grain. Bet it even looks better than the picture. HWH

Drstrangefart

Nice finish. I like it that you didn't take the easy way and fill in the grain. Bet it even looks better than the picture. HWH

Indeed. I've been exposing it to sunlight as much as I can today and more colors are showing up. One thing I am NOT is a photographer. I just point and shoot with auto-focus and I'm fine with it. I'm pretty sure I'm going back to the plain white background even though this one looks so cool. It does take away from the overall effect.

Drstrangefart

Would like a little more info on making them center bands. Sounds interesting. I would like to try it sometime.

Remind me tomorrow, and when I get home from work I'll pm you with my process.

Copy me on that PM if you don't mind. I would love to give it a shot.

Thanks!

Will do! If you can pm me a reminder sometime past noon. I am really prone to forgetting stuff like this. I'll probably remember it, but just to be safe.

Top Bottom