Dogwood Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jeff

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
My wonderful daughter Renee is engaged to marry Peter, a terrific young man. He is the grandson of Jon Corbino, a pretty well-known Painter from the early 20th century. Peter's parents are throwing an engagement party for the kids this weekend in Virginia, and I'm headed out there tomorrow morning.

Peter's dad is also a painter, so I made him a sketch pencil from Flowering Dogwood, the state tree of Va. I made two, and I have not decided which to give him yet. The top one is finished with friction polish, the bottom one with CA/BLO.

The pill holder key ring is a piece of the same blank - maybe I'll give that to his mom. It has a CA/BLO finish also. Sorry for the low quality photo!
attachment.jpg

Renee and Pete. She works for an estate auction house, and he's a firefighter.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• pencils.jpg
    pencils.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 619
  • renee-pete-pancakes.jpg
    renee-pete-pancakes.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 615
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Congratulations to Renee & Peter and to you Jeff for the nice "presents" that you are about to share with your new family to be.

Last edited:

bdonald

Yes, great job! Good idea on giving the keychain to the mom. I have found that when giving something like that to someone, if they have a mate they get a small gift also <and whenever possible for family members, from the same wood for the symbolic gesture of being cut from the same tree :) >. Nice icebreaker, and people always like to be thought of. I like to keep a dozen or so little kits around for just that reason. As for help deciding on which to give, cant offer anything there since I like both of them! :)

ldb2000

They Both look great to me also but I think the CA/BLO might hold up a little better if he uses it allot and the keyring from the same blank is a very thoughtful addition .

Ligget

I favour the CA finished pencil just because of the finish will look better for longer, all look great with that wood though!

Congratulations to them both!

Top Bottom