Dogwood Pen/Pencil sets for the parents.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from penodr

Status
Not open for further replies.

penodr

Here are photos of the pen and pencil sets I made for my parents for Christmas. They are made from a section of a Dogwood tree that grew in our yard when I was a kid and was a big reason my mother loved the house when they bought it. So, when the tree died a decade or so ago I took a 6" section and literally threw it in the garage. So I had a badly cracked section of very hard wood to work with. The darker cigar pen came from a section of the wood that had changed color, I guess from spalting? Anyway, they turned out ok.

Dave

P.S. The pens are leaning against the cracked wood from the tree. Lost a bunch of blanks to get these 4 done.

20061219114711_pens1.jpg

20061219114747_pens2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Really like that top cigar.

If you have a caliper handy, you may want to use it rather than your cigar bushing for the upper part of the lower barrel. Looks like you were a little underturned on both, by the same amount. Looks like the same situation on the tops halves too, but it's a little harder to tell.

Skye

If a guy walks into a bar with a nice suit and a knife stuck in his forehead, many people will just smile, nod and tell the guy he's got a nice suit. There's a lot of people here like that. Me, I may comment on his nice suit, but I'll also remark about the knife stuck in his forehead.

rapost

"If you didn't have that knife in your forehead, that would be a real nice suit!" [}:)][}:)]

The pens look great! I think the sentimental value will probably make up for them being underturned! [8D]

cozee

Yes, good looking pens and your parents should really cherish them. And have to agree they will probably never notice the underturning because it is a gift from their son!

And I also have to agree, good advice from those who only wish to help you improve your pen turning abilities and I hope you realize that. Some here will patronize you with a "nice pen" comment every time you post a pic totally neglecting any type of actual helpful advice. The underturning may not be noticed by your parents but if you were to begin selling pens, sooner or later an unsatisfied customer would. No time like the present to begin perfecting your skills!

Again, good looking pens![:)]

(I'd say, "Dude, because of that knife in your head yopu've ruined a great looking suit!!)[:D][:p][:p][:p]

You seem to have done a great job selecting the wood/kit combination and the finish looks great. My bushings for my cigar pens seem to be a little proud on the top portion of the lower barrel so I have to turn them a hair below the bushing when I make mine. If you dont own calipers cut a notch out of some chipboard the size that the top of the barrel is supposed to be and that will work too.

BigRob777

Dave,
It looks like it's all been said, so here's something a bit different. Welcome to IAP. I know it's an institution here and I love them too, but the cigar shouldn't have a rounded insert, where the top meets the bottom. It throws off the look, I think. I never know how to turn them myself. I think I end up with proud barrels too. Keep on perfecting your work. You've got some good skills already.
Merry Christmas,
Rob

penodr

Thanks all for the great comments. Don't worry the helpfull comments were taken as such. I believe that you will never improve if people don't give you a honest critique of your work.

I noticed the problem with the "proud" cigars as well when I assembled them ( the slimlines are "proud" as well they just don't show so much in the pictures ) I actually just purchased a caliper set after assembling the pens to help with future pens.

Anyway thanks for all the advice and coments.

Dave

Skye

Originally posted by penodr
I believe that you will never improve if people don't give you a honest critique of your work.

Well holy macaroni, I like the way you think! [:D]

I've had the same problems. It's almost like my older bushings are closer to the correct size and the newer ones are always too big. I'd suggest measuring your nibs, centerbands, etc and then measuring your bushings. If they're all too big you're going to have to turn down past the bushing all the way around. Just write them down and trust the calipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom