Dog Tags

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ribanett

ribanett

I have a new customer who owns two Army & Navy Stores. They wanted something different from the images I have. So we came up with the idea of using a dog tag background.

Thanks for looking.

dog_tag_1_2.jpg

dog_tag_2_2.jpg

dog_tag_3_2.jpg

dog_tag_4_2.jpg

dog_tag_5_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chugbug

Hi Larry,

Really like the pens. I have 7 brothers that were Marines, and they are always asking me for Military stuff. I gave most of them cartridge pens, but I'm sure when I show them these, they will want one of those too!

Navy colors... (although we are USMC -:wink: ) if you are just looking for the "color" to match up to, here are some pics I found of the "Navy" colors (Blue & Gray).

I also found a link to a Testors (paint) color chart for their "Navy" colors - below is snapshot- but if you want to look at other swatches, here is the link:
http://www.color-swatches.com/testors/navy-gray-fs16081-/1791/swatch.html

I'll see if I can drum up some business for you with the boys!

Hope this helps...John

Attachments

• Navy_Blue-Gray.jpg
    Navy_Blue-Gray.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Navy_Gray.jpg
    Navy_Gray.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Testor_navy-gray_swatch.jpg
    Testor_navy-gray_swatch.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 118

Atherton Pens

Those are really very well done and a great idea. I have to ask.... Are they decals (copy of the dog tag), or the real dog tag wrapped around the casing?

Thanks for sharing

ribanett

Those are really very well done and a great idea. I have to ask.... Are they decals (copy of the dog tag), or the real dog tag wrapped around the casing?

Thanks for sharing

They are decals. I start with the dog tag background and add the images and text. This way I can make each pen a custom work.

seamus7227

thats a great idea, but you should include the teeth notch in them to add to the look and maybe try some black outline around them to give them more depth, just a thought!

seamus7227

thats a great idea, but you should include the teeth notch in them to add to the look and maybe try some black outline around them to give them more depth, just a thought!

I'll give it a shot and see what they look like.

Thanks for the idea

your welcome, it was just an idea. I really love the way your decals look! You do a fantastic job on them!

John Pratt

Mine do, but I think you may be correct. I don't think they do anymore.

I don't believe they have done that since the 60's, but I could be wrong. I joined the military in '85 and retired in '08 and we never had the notch. I work on a military installation and the Soldiers now don't have it either. It might be a nice touch for the "older" retirees. It might be worth looking into the actual date they stopped doing it so the type of ID tag fits the type during the Soldier's service.

John

seamus7227

Teeth notch? Real dog-tags don't have the notch.

Thats old school style dog tags. I think they looked better that way when they made them. Now they look cheaper made. Of course, so do lots of things nowadays. I guess thats what happens when things are made in china

John, thats a great idea too!

ribanett

Very nice! Do you powder coat the cartridges? Looks awesome. You have your niche here.

No powder coat, the heat will melt the decal.

I just use 10 to 15 coats of CA.

I have a "Don't Tread On Me" pen that I have been using for over a year. The CA finish is as good as the day I applied it.

pfde4

They no longer make them with the notch, but you are still available to order them with it.

Very nice!!!!!!!

Mariner1

Great loking pens. I guess I will have to learn how to do decals because you can't find anything for the merchant marine.:)

Great work ! Let me know when you get a Coast Guard finished. My father was a shallow water sailor and would love this.

I have his dog-tags from his service time and it does have the tooth notch. Of course he's 82..... :biggrin:

Last edited:

ribanett

Mine do, but I think you may be correct. I don't think they do anymore.

I don't believe they have done that since the 60's, but I could be wrong. I joined the military in '85 and retired in '08 and we never had the notch. I work on a military installation and the Soldiers now don't have it either. It might be a nice touch for the "older" retirees. It might be worth looking into the actual date they stopped doing it so the type of ID tag fits the type during the Soldier's service.

John

John,

I have looked at all my sources and can find nothing about when they stopped notching DT's I remember the notch in my DTs. I served in the AF between '65 to '82. I lost all my military memories when Katrina came thru here in '05. If I can find the date, I was thinking of using a notched DT if the service started before that date.

Great work ! Let me know when you get a Coast Guard finished. My father was a shallow water sailor and would love this.

I have his dog-tags from his service time and it does have the tooth notch. Of course he's 82..... :biggrin:

Byron,

Still working on the Coast Guard DT. Having some trouble finding the right colors for the background.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your Dad's DT and pm it to me. I have not been able to find a DT with the notch and I want to be sure I place the notch in the proper place.

Thanks John and Byron

Top Bottom