Does this save work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glen Schumann

Glen Schumann

Lost a piece of the olivewood off the blank while turning and used a piece of drilled but also blown out Tru Stone Blanco Nero I had stored. How do you think this works? I keep fluctuating between "OK!" to "OMG, what have I done?". Thanks for looking. Your thoughts please.

Attachments

• IMGP2464 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    IMGP2464 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMGP2465 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    IMGP2465 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 229
  • IMGP2466 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    IMGP2466 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMGP2467 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    IMGP2467 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMGP2468 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    IMGP2468 Etsy Handmade Jr Gents II Fountain Pen Black Titanium Olivewood.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mason Kuettel

I agree that a darker tru-stone would have looked better, but the idea is a good one. I'm sure you could search the words "oops band" and come up with some good suggestions (I know I have had to do it several times!)

monophoto

There are really two factors here. One is that the blank failed, and you naturally want to save it somehow. This is an option. Don't know if it is exactly to my taste. I think the issue is color - olive wood is a very nice warm brown, and the coolness of the Tru Stone seems jarring.

The other factor is the old 'when life gives you lemons, make some lemonaide' thing. The question is can you convert this save into something that would be even better than if the blank had not failed.

One of the things that I dislike about wooden pens is that the end of the clip tends to rub a divot into the wood. This is totally unintentional - as the pen is used, it is almost unavoidable that the clip will occasionally be allowed to snap into position, causing a depression. Over time, that depression grows.

Now, if you had put the Tru Stone at the other end of the cap so that it was under the end of the clip, you would be on your way to lemonaide. And if you had chosen material that was more compatible with the color of the olive, then you would have a winner.

mrcook4570

Center the wood between two bands, separated by either black veneer or a thin sheet of metal. In other words, make a sandwich of contrasting segment, black veneer, main wood, black veneer, contrasting segment. That will make the 'oops' look like a planned and symmetrical design. Then repeat that pattern on the lower barrel.

allisnut

I think a thin strip of blackwood and a cut-off from another olivewood blanks would be better. I've never been a fan of mixing acrylic & wood. It doesn't look bad, but not to my taste.

ALexG

it happened to me a couple of times and I've put a piece of aluminum between the wood or acrylic and the tru-stone piece

RSidetrack

Not to my taste, but definitely a good attempt at a save. The coloring is off, as others had mentioned. Also - it is unbalanced, I am a "balanced" type person - which is a choice, not a requirement :rolleyes:. If I had gone to repair it, I may have replaced a portion on both sides of the cap and also chosen a different color. Again, great attempt at a save.

Glen Schumann

Thanks for all your input folks. I'm really impressed with the amount of feedback; lots to learn from. Never had this much with pens which did not need a save.

76winger

The good thing is that your learning and open to ideas and critiques without getting offended. I think it's a learning experience we all have had, I know I have a couple that I've done similar on. Keep turning and learning!

Top Bottom