Does this look good on black TI?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

I posted a while back to see what folks thought looked good on black TI kits. Should have asked what DON'T look good to keep the list shorter. Anyway, here's what I picked, let me know what you think.

Bocote
2008715162615_bocoteblti1.jpg

and Ebony
2008715162726_ebonyblti1.jpg

Let me know what you think, good and bad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

James, both are outstanding, the center bands and the finials add that extra step that says these were made by a person that is an uncompromising craftsman, and cares about his product, I'd like to see the grain on the ebony, jeez man do you have to put such a great finish on them ;);)
It almost looks like you matched the grain on the centerband on the Bocote, both are the kind of pen I wish i could turn out.[8D][8D][8D]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by desertyellow

I favor the ebony, although both are great pens.

Where as I favor the first as the BlkTi brings out the graining. From personal taste the ebony is a bit dark for the Ti pen and I would prefer it on a sterling or platinum depending on what you want to do cost wise. But this is what is nice in the pen turning world .. there is always someone who is going to like what you do enough to make it worth your while to do it .. so long as you aren't being really off the wall. Even then you are likely to still find a buyer if you have the dreaded "patience."

Nice work, I love the center band detail.

Mrs.

jskeen

Thanks guys for the feedback. I've sent a couple of email tutorials on the centerbands, but haven't gotten any feedback on how well the process works for somebody else. Eventually I may work up one to post if the interest exists.

Ken, actually, the grain flows from finial through cap, centerband and body on both pens, but the drastic difference in curve radius on the ebony makes it impossible to see on all 4 pieces at one time like you can on the bocote. I'm still trying to figure out this photography stuff, but decided to play around with it and see if I could do better.

200871634747_bocoteblti5.jpg

20087163482_bocoteblti6.jpg

200871634820_ebonyblti5.jpg

200871634852_ebonyblti6.jpg

drayman

James, great looking pens, i love them both. now i want a tutorial on the centre band too.;)[:0]

Top Bottom