Doctors Woodshop Test

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I have used CA for wood finishes and was only disappointed once when a gorgeous Gabon ebony pen was mistaken for plastic. So for something different I purchased several Doctor's Woodshop products and tried ebony again. This time the grain is apparent and the shine is there, but not as plastic as before. This is not to start pro CA and anti-CA folks going at it, just my attempt to grow a bit.

PenDesignerSilverinGabonEbonybweb_zps697e1e38.jpg

The above photo does not do justice to the shine and appears matte. These closeup may better show the finish.
PenDesignerSilverinGabonEbonycweb_zps68186ccf.jpg

PenDesignerSilverinGabonEbonydweb_zpsc59f3b21.jpg

Oddly, even after more than 50 CA pens (a weekend for some of you) I felt that the walnut oil technique was less prone to a fatal error. It is hard to see anything except steady progress toward a smoother finish with increasing shine. I like BOTH methods and will use both as appropriate.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Ebony is one wood I've never put CA on just because it's hard enough that it doesn't need a protective layer as much, and it's smooth enough not to need a coating that fills in the pores of the wood. My choice for finish has been Shellawax, mostly because that's what I first got for a wood finish and still have plenty left in the big bottle I got. When it's gone I'll experiment with alternatives. Great looking pen with a wonder wood finish!

mmayo

The "Pens Plus" second step has shellac and microcrystalline wax like Sheelawax and I used five applications followed by several of his wax shine and preservative coats.

BSea

The "Pens Plus" second step has shellac and microcrystalline wax like Sheelawax and I used five applications followed by several of his wax shine and preservative coats.
What's the advantage of using the wax shine & preservative coats. Since the pens plus has both shellac & micro-crystalline wax?

I'm not saying it's not a benefit, but I thought the pen's plus was all that was needed after the walnut oil sanding.

BKelley

I got introduced to DW about a two months ago and have used it on several pens. I like the look that it gives and I like the ease of application. I personally think that a satin finish compliments wood. With that said, I'll give DW a AA+.

Ben

mmayo

I sometimes see radial "ridges" and it looks like them in the second photo. Closer views like 3 do not show rings. The last wax preservative treatments have a slick looking finish. Impression you get varies with angle and lighting. It is pretty to me.

Top Bottom