Doctor's Desk Pen and some others...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Took a while to finish up but I finally got'er done. This is a Jr. Majestic that will become the desk pen of our doctor who will be delivering our daughter any day now. She has already recieved her click pen, but we wanted her to have something nice to keep at home without much risk of losing it to coworkers or patients. The blank is one of my own castings that was reverse painted twice. First with turquoise (which you can see much of throughout the pen) and then with black. The black was just to make sure the brass wouldn't show bc the turquoise was a bit thin when applying. You can see a bit of where it missed on the cap around the clip. I chose these colors for the blank bc our doctor was always wearing something (shoes, blouses, jewelry) with these in it. I also replaced the clear crystal in the clip with a handturned one. I went with a bright green for it's the birthstone color for August and my daugther will be here any day now.

DSC01245561x700.jpg
DSC01249578x700.jpg
DSC01250627x700.jpg
DSC01253611x700.jpg
DSC01246700x670.jpg

On top of our baby being born any day now we're ALSO closing on our new house either tomorrow or Tuesday (depends on last min paperwork and baby coming). Our relator has worked her butt off helping make this happen for the past 3-4 months! She's also a good friend so she's getting this Gold Ti Stretch FP. The blank is another one of mine, and it is a pain in the _ _ _ to photograph! One thing I did after turning to help bring out the subtle coloring is to put on a satin finish instead of a high gloss. I've found it helps the undertones really shine. It was weird while first sanding it. Since I cross-sand after every grit I was noticing how great it was looking at first, but as I got higher up with the MM it was losing it's glow but gaining shine. So I dulled it back down and here you have it. I put on a nice Bock nib and she writes beautifully! Bought some pink ink to add with the pen (her fav color) but I'll also give her some black or blue for official documents :rolleyes:

Oh, and sorry for the not so great pics! Like I mentioned earlier...it was a pain!

DSC01256575x700.jpg
DSC01238566x700.jpg
DSC01257553x700.jpg

Lastly is one I made just for the fun of it. I had the blank prepared for over a month now, but now that I'm finally able to do a small bit of turning I knocked it out with the others. It's a Black Ti Aero again with one of my blanks. Reverse painted black. Another difficult pen to photograph! I didn't do a great job cleaning off all the lil fuzzy's on this one :redface:

DSC01211635x700.jpg
DSC01216617x700.jpg
DSC01219622x700.jpg

Thanks for looking! As always comments/critiques are welcomed and appreciated!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Like that opal blank, no matter how many times I see one. But that top one is gonna make me go do some casting. I gotta demo to get ready for anyway, so it gives me a chance to imitate a master.

crabcreekind

Great job on all 3 pens. The majestic is amazing, as always. Have you ever thought of replacing the crystal with a different colored crystal?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like congratulations are due all around. Best wishes to you, your wife, and baby girl. The pens look great. That MOP still looks really nice.

Brooks803

Great job on all 3 pens. The majestic is amazing, as always. Have you ever thought of replacing the crystal with a different colored crystal?

Thanks James. I have, but personally I'd rather turn my own replacement. For me it's easier just to make it, plus I can then make it from whatever I want.

Nice work all the way! Can you text me when the baby arrives?

Of course I will! If she doesn't come today the doctor will be inducing early Fri morning. Getting close!!!

I thought I was a friend.....:cool: What does a brother need to do to get one of those?

Very very nice Jonathon!

Lol...you are buddy! Besides, you've got one now. You just had to finish it off first :tongue:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! That Majestic is, er, majestic! Absolutely beautiful! The others are great, too. But I love those colors you have in the majestic. Great job.

Tage

They are all beautiful, but you've outdone yourself with that first blank (& pen). Congratulations and best wishes on the new baby and house!

InvisibleMan

My favorite is the Majestic. That will make an outstanding desk pen. The blank made me think of the huge kelp forest display tank at Monterey Aquarium.:cool:

PR_Princess

Beautiful Jonathon!!! All of them are gorgeous, but I think that my favourite is the Majestic too.

You have to be so excited!!..What day is the baby due?

Brooks803

Are we all Uncles yet or what?

Beautiful Jonathon!!! All of them are gorgeous, but I think that my favourite is the Majestic too.

You have to be so excited!!..What day is the baby due?

You sure have a lot going on!!! Congratulations on EVERYTHING!!!

Are we all Uncles yet or what?

Yes. Congrats, Jonathon and Shea

Thanks everyone for the kind words! As to when the baby is due: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/someone-id-like-you-meet-100416/#post1430754

The majestic was my fav too!

Top Bottom