Do you think I'm ugly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulSF

PaulSF

This is some amboyna burl I just finished turning and finishing. Before I assemble everything together, I thought I'd solicit some opinion as to whether one of the pieces is ugly or not. As you can see, there's a light area at the end of the cap piece. To me, it doesn't fit aesthetically, but it is part of the same blank as everything else.

So, should I junk these pieces and start anew?

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shepardscross

Will the clip cover most of it?
If you don't like it you can always start over.
I like the look of the blanks, I would also probably put the pen together and use it myself.
Always a conversation starter when I pull a pen out of my pocket to use for something, and usually only I can tell if there is something wrong with it.
Just my .02

JBCustomPens

Two-tone amboyna fits the eye of many, but if it doesn't fit your eye, you could put the clip over the sapwood portion. Your opinion is the one that matters.

TheRealSmith

My rule of thumb is.... if it came that way in nature its perfect use it. A defect only bothers the person who sees it as such. Many times I have spent extra time on a pen just because my eye is so critical but ironicly most people never see what we see if you get my drift :wink:

PaulSF

Sorry about the blurriness. I really have problems getting a good pic with that camera. I would probably put that portion where the clip is, if only because I made a little chip at the end when sanding off some excess CA.

This is going on a Jr. Retro kit.

Thanks for the feedback! I figured it's sort of a woodworker insider thing, but that ordinary civilians might not appreciate what's going on. I hate to junk the blank, because the swirls are really fascinating.

JohnU

I like it! You cant go wrong with Amboyna. Any Amboyna (good, bad, ugly)..... its all good! I like the sap wood and prefer to have more of it. Contrast and Character !

altaciii

The wood came that way and I'm sure the buyer will buy it just because of it. Leave it, it will give the pen its own character. If not then send it to me, I'll make sure it will find a great home.

mick

Paul....I've sold every two tone amboyna pen I've ever made if that tells you anything.
They usually don't last past the first show when I put one out!
it'll make a great looking pen, instead of trying to hide something like that with a clip, place the clip so it shows off the sapwood.

jttheclockman

I do not think anyone can make an ugly pen using that wood weather it has sap wood in it or not. Your choice but it is nice wood. If you arenot using a tripod you should do so. Anytime you take a photo that close will show fuzzyness unless that camera is still.

Top Bottom