DIY centerbands......opinions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I have been having fun with my new mini-HSS tools and my PSI chuck. I just finished these pens.[8D]

This one is bocote with an oak centerband with slimline kit. The finish is my first attempt at CA-BLO. I am not sure I like it but I will probably try again.

200512434035_14-bocote-oak-slimline.jpg

This is a Red palm body with DIY Paduk center band and finial from a slimline kit. I really liked doing the matching finial and it took suprisingly little time.

200512434211_15-palm-paduk-slimline.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

I also prefer the paduk CB.

As for he finish, it seems a little rough. I only have 800 grit sp so that may be it. I used thick CA ( the only kind I had). It was a spur of the moment decision so I will definitely try it again. Personally I miss the feel of the wood.

dougle40

Good stuff Shane . I just recently started to make my own CB's and haven't made a pen with a stock CB since . Check out my latest , an Antique Pine w/Paduk CB.

woodscavenger

Thanks for the comments. The mini turning tools from PSI really make a difference for me. I have kept my 1/2" cutoffs and I drilled a bunch of them with 1/4" bit, slid a bunch on my mandrel and played around. I now have a little bag full of centerbands of different sizes, shape, and colors. I choose a CB, mount it between my two blanks without the center spacers and make woodchips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom