DIW/Spikey White Burl Cap - Perfect Fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
This is my second and LAST Perfect Fit. The kit looks great, and I like the size, but for some reason that I can't quite nail down this kit gets my crap sandwich of the year award. heh [:p]

The blank is one of my new 'Jumble Cast' Hybrid wood/resin offerings. The wood is DIW and some of that white spikey looking burl, I'm not sure what the wood is actually called. The wood came from Wolfdancer, and my little prop there came from Nolan. I'm pretty sure the prop and the wood in the pen is different.

The kit is a chrome Perfect Fit *gag* from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods. hehe [:p]:D

I was going for a southwestern color scheme with translucent, pearlized deep turquoise and dark rose colored resins. I have a bunch of oddball burl pieces that are too pretty to burn, but aren't big enough to do anything with, so I just chucked them in a mold and poured the resins in. I'm really happy with the way they turned out, lots of interesting things going on in there. :) I have more of these blanks for sale that will be listed in my "Weird World of..." business classified listing when I get a chance. I have about a bazillion Hybrid and resin blanks to get listed for sale, but I'm concentrating on getting all of my tardy and/or custom shipments out the door first.

JumbleCast1_1.jpg

JumbleCast1_2.jpg

Comments/Questions/Suggestions welcome and appreciated, as always! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I like that! Very mysterious depth to that blank. And speaking of mysterious, the way that burl prop is balanced...

Dan

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Dan_F

I like that! Very mysterious depth to that blank. And speaking of mysterious, the way that burl prop is balanced...

Dan

Yeah, the prop was an accident. I was trying to get it to sit flat like it's "supposed" to, and the weight of the pen kept tipping it backwards; I was starting to get really ticked off until I looked at it and went, "Duh...COOL!" heh...I get kinda lucky sometimes. I just grabbed that little piece out of my giant box of that kind of stuff. I'm going to have to sand it a little and clean it up. I think it's going in the permanent prop army. [:p]

mick

[:p]Wow....oh wow....oh yeah Wow almost does it![:p]I'm waiting by the comp for some of that to go on sale!:D
Karl, that's one swell looking pen!

rlharding

Karl, what camera do you use? Also, when you take your pics, I assume still on your small table, do you cut out all light other than a camera flash?

Needless to say your blanks and finished pens are always fabulous. Now I am interested in your camera work.

I hope one of the reasons we haven't seen you here much is because you are busy getting all of our packages out [8D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by rlharding

Karl, what camera do you use? Also, when you take your pics, I assume still on your small table, do you cut out all light other than a camera flash?

I'm still using my old Nikon Coolpix 995 (3.2 MP)
I don't use the flash, I have two double-head 150 watt halogens pointed down and diffused from above, but two of the bulbs are burned out at the moment.
I also have 2 60 watt 'dimmable' incandescent bulbs inside the booth that I change to various angles and dimmer settings depending on what I'm trying to do.

Needless to say your blanks and finished pens are always fabulous. Now I am interested in your camera work.

I hope one of the reasons we haven't seen you here much is because you are busy getting all of our packages out [8D]

Yup! I've been up to my ears in resin and postage and shipping materials and labels and custom orders, turning a pen or two for samples when I get a chance to get away from the pots and computer. :)

Top Bottom