Ditched the centre/center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from furini

furini

Hi all

I'm working my way up the learning curve with this one - first modified slimline in yew and purpleheart:

DSC_0021-1.jpg

It's no. 4 of 28 slimlines I'm making to give as leaving presents for my final year pupils - this is my best one yet so I hope I keep improving until the 28th one!

Cheers

Stewart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
.........and just why isn't that one in either the Slimline contest or the Newbie contest? Certainly good enough:biggrin:

Of course you will be sick of them by the time you finished 28:wink:

chriselle

Very nice Stewart,
I find that leaving the upper barrel a wee bit bigger at the center rather than flush naturally appeals to the eye. And, maybe leave a bit more meat at the ends. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

furini

.........and just why isn't that one in either the Slimline contest or the Newbie contest? Certainly good enough:biggrin:

I've put it in for the newbie comp - have to do some more photos of it for the slimline one.

Cheers

Stewart

ps. got my supply of resin this morning - hoping to have a play tomorrow

Last edited:

furini

Very nice Stewart,
I find that leaving the upper barrel a wee bit bigger at the center rather than flush naturally appeals to the eye. And, maybe leave a bit more meat at the ends. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Hi Chris

I agree about leaving a bit more at the ends but I'm not a fan of a thicker top section, though I haven't made one or seen on in the flesh, so perhaps I'll give it a go. Having the top section thicker to me looks like it's a lid that should come off. Still, probably room in the remaining 24 to do one.

Cheers

Stewart

ldb2000

I think you got a winner there . The slimline pens are one of the greatest base platforms for making custom pens . Play with the shape a little , try making the upper barrel a little bigger then the lower , like a euro , and your CB work will stand out a little more . Also try using 3 smaller and equal sized bands for a more refined look .
Keep playing with it .

JohnU

I like it! Ive made and sold more slims than any other kit. Although Ive gotten away from them for a while, youve inspired me to give that idea a shot. A very nice looking pen and a one of a kind gift. Great idea!

Top Bottom