Disqualified from the Pretty Wood Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brian G

Brian G

These are examples that would be disqualified from the 2019 IAP BASH Pretty Wood Pen Contest. You can read the rules to understand why they would be disqualified (aside from me being ineligible to enter). :biggrin:

I cast these myself, using Alumilite and various woods. This style has taken different names (e.g., "worthless wood," "mutts," "mixed material," and others), but I'm appropriating the term "Chimera Cast©". That's in a biologic sense, not Greek mythology.

A chimera is an organism containing a mixture of genetically different tissues, formed by processes such as fusion of early embryos, grafting, or mutation. Granted, Alumilite has no genetic material, but I did fuse a mixture of two different materials; thus, Chimera Cast© works for me!

Set 1: Tritons in Maple Cluster Burl, Buckeye Burl, Buckeye Burl, and Maple Cluster Burl; Cigars in Maple Burl, Maple Burl, Buckeye Burl, Maple Burl, Amboyna Burl; Atraxes in Buckeye Burl, Buckeye Burl, and Maple Burl

attachment.php

Set 2: Virages in Amboyna Burl, Amboyna Burl, and Maple Burl; Castellars in Amboyna Burl and Maple Burl; Jr. Georges in Amboyna Burl and Amboyna Burl; Atraxes in Buckeye Burl and Buckeye Burl; Slimline Pros in SpectraPly turning debris; Sierra Click in pinecone; and in the front an Ellipse in Narrah Burl

attachment.php

Attachments

• Chimera3.jpg
    Chimera3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 742
  • Chimera5.jpg
    Chimera5.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 704
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I like the original term that El Mostro started using about 12 years or so ago for cast resin and wood: "Amalgamutt!"

I really like his amalgamutt blanks. He was way ahead of his time with his castings. Wish he would do more.

robutacion

I like the original term that El Mostro started using about 12 years or so ago for cast resin and wood: "Amalgamutt!"

I really like his amalgamutt blanks. He was way ahead of his time with his castings. Wish he would do more.

I agree with you, my beginnings in casting that I named Resiffils (resin filled stuff...!) started when I saw the Amalgamutts here on IAP, my casting preparation regarding the equipment needed to cast these sort of blanks, that was facilitated by Custis Seeback and his written tutorial "Worthless wood" or Worthless blanks I can't remember correctly, this also coincided with my beginnings as an IAP member back in 2009.

Since then, the production of these type blanks has grown and grown, today, everybody wants to cast their own blanks, and if they are asked if they do so to save a few bucks, the majority of them will say no, they want to do it based on the inspiration they get from seeing the work of others and the enjoyment they get from creating their own and experience that special excitement following the pouring, how will they look like...??? that sort of excitement/anticipation...!:)

I find it only normal that those casting a fair bit want to give a name to their own work, as I did, the one term that I feel is most suitable for cast blanks where wood/other materials and resin are mixed together is the term "Hybrids", regardless of what name we give them, hybrids signify accurately what the blanks are.

As for Brian's blanks, I reckon he done a very good job not only making them but dressing the kits with them, the shape and finish are very good, congrats.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Not bad for non segmented :handshake:

Well, has been a while since I saw segmented only resin blanks, I reckon is a lot more difficult to create segmented blanks with hybrids but I've seen them before.

Blanks segmentation my friend, do require a very important set of "tools", one is steady hands and the other is patience, none of which I have, I do however admire those that fit the profile and you my good friend, you have the patience of a Saint and I'm sure your hands are steady, your design creation is most exciting to see put into reality and I wonder why I'm not aware or remember that your work/blanks have its own name, do they...?:confused:

Cheers
George

Brian G

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate the comments. :)

I probably spend as much time contemplating the choice of components and plating as I do turning and assembling. My view is that the plating should complement the blank and not detract from it.

George, thank you for mentioning other names for hybrids and I agree that "hybrid" is the best generic name for these. I picked "Chimera Cast©" as a name mostly for fun and to distinguish them from other commercial brands. I have no grand illusion about getting into the business of making and selling them. I make them because I can and it's fun. Mine don't come out of the mold and off the saw all pretty and fancy looking. That doesn't mean if somebody likes something I've made, I won't work out a deal. At some point, I might have to clear some space.

Chief TomaToe

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate the comments. [emoji2]

I probably spend as much time contemplating the choice of components and plating as I do turning and assembling. My view is that the plating should complement the blank and not detract from it.

George, thank you for mentioning other names for hybrids and I agree that "hybrid" is the best generic name for these. I picked "Chimera Cast[emoji2398]" as a name mostly for fun and to distinguish them from other commercial brands. I have no grand illusion about getting into the business of making and selling them. I make them because I can and it's fun. Mine don't come out of the mold and off the saw all pretty and fancy looking. That doesn't mean if somebody likes something I've made, I won't work out a deal. At some point, I might have to clear some space.
Keep me in mind if you ever decide to do so!

Top Bottom