Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A few new ones, since I'm sold out.

200821325453_DipPen1.jpg

20082132557_DipPen2.jpg

200821325521_DipPen3.jpg

200821325537_DipPen4.jpg

200821325551_DipPen5.jpg

Thank you for looking and particularly to those who post comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I think they look a bit klunky (is that a real word) but you sell a heck of a lot more pens than I do so,, I do like the next to last, it looks like Ebony and Sap wood, the turning work it outstanding,

its_virgil

Can't say that I like'em but taste is a personal thing and is not bebateable. Your workmanship and finish is top notch as usual, and hey, if they sell, even you don't have to lik'em. I make lots of pens I don't like but they sell. If I made just what I liked I would have cases full and probably never sell them. Keep up your excellent penmanship...making them...and I'm sure your writing penmanship is excellent also.:D:D;)
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by DCBluesman

A few new ones, since I'm sold out.

Thank you for looking and particularly to those who post comments.

They're striking, Lou. My favorite is the second from the top. What wood is that? I'm equally curious about the species used for the other pens. Also, would you tell us something about the type of person who uses dip pens and the circumstances where they're used?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you each for your comments. The pens ARE klunky or funky or something, but they SELL that way. (Don't ask if I like 'em.) Dip pens are used by calligraphers, letterers, comic artists and other who do decorative writing and drawing. It's a huge hobby. I import both the 1/4" inserts and the nibs. I have a fairly large order due in at the end of the month at which time I will be offering some of the inserts and nibs at wholesale prices. Watch the MVV forum.

With the exception of the last pen, they are all ebony of one variety or another. Top to bottom:

Texas ebony heartwood
Texas ebony sapwood
Macassar ebony
Nigerian ebony with sapwood
And some strange burl that I got as a freebie from Chitswood last year.

Stevej72

Lou, excellent craftsmanhip on all of them. I got some of your nibs and inserts a couple weeks ago, and now that I am done with my last order I plan to try a few.

Firefyter-emt

Huh... interesting there Lou! I would not of that they would sell, but I see what you mean about the "artist flavor" that might just bring them in! That might be why I never sell any!!! :D

GaryMGg

I haven't been online much but stuck my head in to say I like two of 'em and respect the quality of craftsmanship that went into making all of them. Fine finish work. :D
Glad they sell well.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again. When I first started selling dip pens I kept the traditional, straight line look and they sold modestly. When I made a couple of unusual shapes, they really took off. Many of the folks that use these pens are artsy types and I think (sometimes) the bizarre appeals to them. Of course, I still make the traditional shapes.

marionquill

Hmmm, I've wanted to make dip pens since I started making pens... Do you have to special order the nibs and whatnot or is there a resource to buy them online? I'll keep an eye out on the MVV too.

By the way, I like lighter color one [:p]

Jason

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jason - I have not found a US supplier of the inserts, so I import them. Nibs are a different story, You can get speedball nibs at art supply stores, Michael's, Hobby Lobby and online. I simply gather them altogether such they can be bought as complete units. And, Phil, I'm not cool either...or so my GRANDdaughter says, [8D]

Top Bottom