Dino El President eh!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Well this is one HARD tru stone. I tried making it using my traditional hss tools but gave up before I got it round. After spending some time asking questions here about using carbiide tools I started to think about that process. A friend lent me a home made carbide tool and I used it on the Dino, wow, what a difference.

IMG_9030.jpg

IMG_9031.jpg

I think I am going to try some more carbide in my pen making, this was a lot easer than I thought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

I've been wondering about the Carbide tools myself, spent more time sharpening my hss tools while doing trustone than I do turning them. Considered the Disk Flap sander too.

I've been wondering about the Carbide tools myself, spent more time sharpening my hss tools while doing trustone than I do turning them. Considered the Disk Flap sander too.

The carbide is a sweet tool, I am a skew based turner so I have been in tune with how it works. Aside from the quality of cut the lack or reduced amount of heat also was very noticeable. Heat causes the blank to expand or crack, even break the glue bond with the tube. Less heat is a good thing.... I am sure I will discover other attributes I will like with carbide, in the mean time I need to turn more with this one before I return it,

wizard

Jim, That's a very nice pen! The black areas of the dino bone blank really tie in with the kit. Carbide tools are really nice when doing Tru-Stone. Thank you for showing! Regards, Doc

IPD_Mrs

If you are turning TruStone or M3 blanks, the carbide is the way to go. I love turning with my WoodChuck and look forward to turning TruStones and M3s where before it was a chore due to constantly sharpening the skew. That is a sweet looking pen. The photo is pretty darn good too.

Top Bottom