Difficult post to make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gdakins

Gdakins

In November of last year, about the time I started making pens, my father in law was diagnosed with inoperable small cell lung cancer. He decided to go home and die on his terms. Since then my wife and I have driven the hour and a half each way at least once a week to check on him and do his grocery shopping. One of the things that he always did when we visited was ask to see the latest pen. We would talk about how long they took to make and the type of blank I used. I made him two pens, one out of lemonwood and the other Amboyna burl. He asked me in May if I would make him two pens to give to two of his very close friends so they would have something to remember him. He wanted them to be made from the same wood and have the same plating. After several discussions he decided on Spalted locust on a gold roadster. He would say, has to be wood none of that girlie acrylic stuff (no offense to the women out there). He asked me June 11th how the pens were coming along. I let him know I had cut and drilled the blanks and would turn them the next day. We got a call the next afternoon that he had passed away. Life has just calmed down enough for me to get back in the shop. First thing I did was finish his pens. They're not perfect by any means, but he would of loved them. My wife are meeting his two friends on Wednesday to give them their pens. I hope they think of Roger every time they use them.

e4d7bcaa3707972e1c7f72b4db7b8a4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your father, Greg, as well as to all other members of the family.

I love to think of those pens being cherished as a loving and lasting memory of your Dad.

Last edited:

greenacres2

Very good looking pens in their own right, on any day. But, their reason for being make them incredibly beautiful. Thanks for sharing, and we hope that your role in presenting these gifts will help with the healing for you and your wife.
earl

OZturner

Magnificent Task Greg,
I am sure that your Father would have been Delighted, as I am, that his Friends will be.
It was a Beautiful thought of your Dad, to ask You to Craft the Pens of his Choosing for his Special Friends.
His Memory will live forever in their Minds, as he will in Yours.
My Thought and Prayers are with You and Your Family,
Brian.

Woodchipper

Our sympathies to you and the family. Been through that many times over the years and it doesn't get any better. The pens will something that will be remembered by his friends and passed down to other generations.

Prayers and Thoughts with You

So touching and thoughtful. Almost made me cry. You will never forget those pens and the time you spent making them. You were making them for your Dad. He knows that you your did as he wished and made them and they will be given to those he intended to receive them. God Bless You and Your Family and you will be in my prayers tonight.

BKelley

Greg,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my father in 1997, so I know what you are going thru. I hope your memories of your father are as dear to you as the memories of my dad are to me

Ben

cseymour

Sorry for your loss.
I am sure your FIL is smiling down on you and your family and loving the fact that the pens were delivered.
The pens look great and I am sure they will be cherished.

May God bless you and your family.

All the best

Top Bottom