Difficult Decision!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi All,

A friend who makes furniture, and kindly gives me off cuts, has commissioned a pen from me, using a peace of his Beech Burl.

I have made a coiple of pens, but am unsure of the kits? Tried using gold, but took it to pieces as it cheapened the pen. My wife does not like the contrast on the Black kit?

What are your thoughts,,,,,remember, this is a guy's pen.

Thanks!

200684204023_CIMG0965.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Those pens look pretty good Kenny.

Have you tried turning a pen without the centerband? It will help thicken the pen up making it more of a "guys" pen. I think there some tutorials on this somewhere here, or just look through a few guys pictures albums that do this. Taking the centerband out helps take the emphasis off the other hardware.

You might try a contrasting wood for the centerband as well. It is a beautiful wood, but adding something of your design would really give it that special touch.

mrcook4570

Bill's idea is a very good one. Alternatively, a black titanium kit with the chrome trim rings around the centerband (like the ones from BB) might look very nice.

kkwall

Hi , Thanks Bill and Stan!

Will start to look at pens without centre bands. I have done a couple, but at that time, I was using simpler kits, and didn't like the look of them.

Will look at titanium kits as well!

Thanks again!

alamocdc

Kenny, I think Gunmetal (looks very much like Black Ti and is less expensive) would look good with it. Once you start making the modifieds (as suggested by Bill and Stan), you'll wonder what took you so long.

BigRob777

I know this isn't an option, but gold might look nicer, especially brushed gold. I do agree that you should make your own CBs. I do for all of my slimlines. Just cut an end off of a blank and glue it to a blank. Put the tube in the other end, so that it doesn't go past the CB. It works like a charm and you aren't stuck with an hourglass shaped pen.

What wood is that? It looks like burl from here.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom