Different woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aggromere

aggromere

I have 5 big cigar pens in the works, 3 are for orders, 1 is for Peter (wood of a kind) and one is a spec pen. Really just wanted to show the African Blackwood from BigRob. the walnut is from Peter of wood-of-a-kind. the other three are from Isaac. It really looks nice in person. One is amboyna burl and the other two are Brown Malle Burl, I think. I know one is for sure, but the other doesn't look lke any brown mallee I've turned yet, any guesses or you think it is just an unusual piece.

First pic is all of them with a cool antique band I might use on the spec pen.

Second is a black african torpedo ordered for Nick Perdomo, owner of Perdomo cigars for a Christmas present.

Third is Brown Malle Burl, a custom order pen using the customers bands.

Fourth is I don't know. Think it is Brown Malle Burl, but I might have gotten it mixed up with something else. Whatever it is it looks very nice. Any ideas what it is or do you think it is just a weird specimen of Brown Mallee Burl. It is my spec pen.

Attachments

• IMG_0389-crop.jpg
    IMG_0389-crop.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0393-crop.jpg
    IMG_0393-crop.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0392-crop.jpg
    IMG_0392-crop.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Peter, like them all your cigar pens always are super but my favorite is the last one.....my address is........:wink::cool::rotfl:

aggromere

You think that is just an unusal brown mallee burl Roy? I'm pretty sure it is but it just looks a lot different, particularly in person. Maybe it is just a really nice specimen with more eyes than im used to.

OKLAHOMAN

I'm by no means a wood expert as I do most of my pens from man made material but it sure looks like brown mallee burl to me..

wiset1

So SWEET! Now that is crafting the perfect pen...makes me wat to try something new. Thanks for the inspiration

BigRob777

Peter,
Thanks for the mention. That's exactly what my brown mallee looked like. Some parts were all eyes. Very nice work. Thanks for the link. BTW, I checked with my supplier and they're basically out of blackwood. This last batch was more streaked than usual, as you can see in the pic. I'll have to wait for a while, for more BW to come in.
Keep on turnin'
Rob

el_d

Nice work Peter, I really like them.

About how big are they? I made one with a sharpie refill that was about 6 inches. these look around the same size.

aggromere

they are all in the 6 to 7 inch range. I try to make them as close to the actual size of the cigar for the band I am going to use.

aggromere

Some results of different woods

I haven't completed all the pens I started out to do yet. Wood of A Kinds pen has a problem with the finish along one edge I have to fix, the other one that is apart just needs to be assembled and it turned out Nick Perdomo wanted one of the mallee pens instead of the black one so it is now my spec pen, which I haven't started.

The jr gent twist is an upper of alt amber (doesn't show up well in the pic) with a white holly lower and a band from a Christopher Columbus collection from spain. It is the Santa Maria.

Attachments

• iap group shot.jpg
    iap group shot.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 96
Top Bottom