A different slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
After seeing a post by B Jackman a while back I wondered if the same might be possible with a slim line(It's a cheaper mistake if I screw up)
Sycamore fancy slimline
I put one coat of unaxol on after the seal coat.
That stuff is GRREAT!

681035425_Hidden%20clip%20slimline%20concept%20006.jpg

edit in

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind

It's OK but I can't help but be reminded of the CONEHEADS from the old Saturday Night Live. Maybe this pen will make it to Hollywood.:D

-Peter-
edit in

I must admit the shape of the top is not the most pleasing based on some of the comments,but the crux of this post was meant to show the additon of a supplied clip from a slimline kit as a design feature and not the completed pen.(I'll post future ideas like this iin penturning so there won't be any confusion as to the intent of my post).
This pen will not be for sale.
Some may recall I played around with this shape a while ago but ran into problems when I assembled the pen while trying to keep the pattern of the blank glue up.
I posted these on the IAP in September of 05.
The middle pen is one I picked up at the dollar store because I Wanted to see if I could duplicate the design without making it look like a KIT PEN and still keeping the flow of the pattern in tact.
The possible success of assembling the clip as I did in the Sycamore pen posted yesterday will overcome that obstacle.
2005924135258_walnut%20red%20white%20lace%20003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Neat concept and well executed. I can't decide whether I like it though. There's something about the top that just looks unbalanced to me. But, again, the execution is awesome; I wish I could do it that well. It would really open up some neat design possibilities!

johncrane

G'day Eagle your pen looks unique mate and I feel a bit like Jim and Im not realy sure about the lenth it is hard to tell from a picture. great joins and clip and finish looks realy good I have not tryed a copper kit yet.What is the copper like for wear and tear [:)][?]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Great work. Perhaps a longer tube for the lower barrel to give it a sleeker look?

Yeah,I realized that after I assembled it(brain fart).
Because I use a Eurostyle length tube for my casin pens I always gain a set of short tubes when I make them.
Since this was an excersize in making a slimline with a hidden clip without buying any thing extra I was more concerned with the clip than the overall appearance.
After I parted off the top and assembled it I realized it was top heavy much like assembling a eurostyle backwards.
Good eye in picking that out.
The pen is the same length as a standard Perfect fit.

Jerryconn

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />It's OK but I can't help but be reminded of the CONEHEADS from the old Saturday Night Live. Maybe this pen will make it to Hollywood.[:D]

-Peter-

That was exactly my thought when I saw it [;)], I really do like the excution very nicely done. After the chat Tuesday night where Bill J talked about this procedure I've been pondering how to do this for a casing pen.
Very nice work, The pen is really diferent looking.

bjackman

Eagle,
Well done!!
One of the neat aspects of this method is the ability to change the shape of the finial end. Opens up a lot of creative possibilities. Do you remember offhand what the width of the "tang" (my term for where the clip enters the wood, kindof like the tang of a knife blank) of the clip on the fancy slimline is? Looks wider than the PF, but could just be a scale thing.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by bjackman
<br />Eagle,
Well done!!
One of the neat aspects of this method is the ability to change the shape of the finial end. Opens up a lot of creative possibilities. Do you remember offhand what the width of the "tang" (my term for where the clip enters the wood, kindof like the tang of a knife blank) of the clip on the fancy slimline is? Looks wider than the PF, but could just be a scale thing.

That is the tricky part.
The width of the "tang" on a standard SL clip is narrower than the "hole" the stud needs to go through.
Once assembled and glued in place(with epoxy and a soda straw as a guide) there are some "physics" involved.The clip will"twist" becasue there is only one contact point.( think a clear epoxy will workk)
I intended to persue this method as to cutting the clip and the adhesive.(I used an epoxy putty packed inside the soda straw and "plunged" it out wit a 1'4" punch)
This was intended as a design concept, I hope others will pursue it.
I have been making pens for 2 years and have always had a soft spot in my heart for the lowly slimline.
I hate skinny little cross pens and make very few B2B slimlines.
Since most manufacturers have a deaf ear for requests to dress it up and make it a larger pen with different accents/platings I use whatever I can to embellish a relatively inexpensive"entry level kit"
AS far as the remarks about the manufacurers I don't mean that as negatively it sounds.
I know they are inbuisness to make a profit,I understand that a product that I would like to see may not be profitable on a larger scale.
That is the reason I try to change the appearance of what come off the shelf.
I want my finished pens to look different than the next guys.<b>I did not say better, I said different.</b>
I don't want mine to look like a "kit" pen.

ilikewood

Hey Eagle, nice to see your work again over here. Superb as usual.

BTW, I agree on the "stay away from the pen kit" look. I think pens should be personal.

beaverfsu

I very much like the overall pen. The final doesn't seem to flow with rest of pen, but the rest of the pen is so outstanding that the final stands out just a little. Agree with statements above, the clip tang seems out of scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom