A different rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is camatillo (dalbergia congestiflora) also known as Mexican Kingwood. I find it to be an unusual figure for a true rosewood. The kit is titanium gold finish Baron.
20053317468_Camatillo.jpg

As always, critiques are encouraged. Thank you for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice Lou, I like mexican kingwood, is the photo making that purple tint or is the wood on the purple side.

Anthony

JimGo

Lou, that came out GREAT! Nice, slight curve to the body, which means it should fit nicely in the user's hand. Does the end near the top bow in slightly, or is that the shadows and the dark part of the wood?

In some ways, from the picture it looks like the wood has the color of purpleheart, with the grain pattern of something more like Cocobolo. Very neat wood, and great find!

Again, great pen!

ilikewood

Hut Products used to sell this wood in larger sizes for Game calls. I don't know if they still do, but the wood really is beautiful.

YUP, just checked www.hutproducts.com and they still sell the pen blanks of this wood for $11.50 per 10. Pretty good deal in my book.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the feedback, folks! As for the wood, I don't recall where I got it. It was back in the days when I only marked the type on each blank.

<b>Doug</b> - this is the natural color. I sure couldn't do anything this nice!
<b>Anthony</b> - the wood IS purple. This looks like the real thing that's sitting here.
<b>Bill</b> - this is not traditional kingwood (Astronium fraxinifolium). I'll post a picture of the blanks for a visualization of the differences.
<b>Jim</b> - The apparent "bowing in" is due to the fact that the continuation of the wood gets dark purple.

20053322744_blanks.jpg
<br />Top to bottom: Camatillo, Kingwood, Purpleheart, Cocobolo

ilikewood

I'm not sure why you think I was refering to "Kingwood" as the subject is about "Camatillo". Hut products sells this wood and it is very beautiful and you have some beautiful specimins of it. It was picked up by their line somewhere around 2000.

See the link I have posted. It is on the bottome of the Tropical American classics wood.

http://www.hutproducts.com/tropam9.html

J. Fred Muggs

Lou: It appears to be exactly what PSI sells as "kingwood" which they do label as Dalbergia congestiflora (same family as cocobolo and most of the rosewoods). But this specimen is much nicer than any I have seen. The orange/yellow makes me wonder if was growing right next to a cocobolo and they had a little hanky panky going on.[:I][:I]

Very nice rendering of an exceptional example of the species.[:)][:)][:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Good to know, Fred. Maybe this sucker was mis-marked! With thousands of subspecies of trees, who knows anymore--at least without a pathology report.

ilikewood

Don't be discouraged Lou!! I would put my money on it being Camatillo as I have seen this wood before.

I have hundreds of pounds of Cocobolo sitting around in my shop at times and occationally I will see a "brilliant purple" piece. When they occationally look like another type, it can be hard to tell, but considering Camitillo is more purple it is the odds on favorite.

WoodChucker

Lou, that's a beautiful pen! I didn't think it was the same Kingwood that I've used, this is much nicer. I'll have to try some too. You did a great job on it and thanks for sharing!

btboone

Trying hard to find something to critique. There's not much to critique. Great looking pen. I think it would also work in black titanium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom