A Different Leather Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

I have something like 500 blanks in inventory, why I continue to create my own is beyond me. Guess it is part of the addiction.

This is a Gunmetal/Gold Sierra with a blank I made from leather. Everything I have seen has been layers of leather stacked, glued, drilled and turned. I wanted to try something different and came up with this.

I glued strips of leather to the tube then saturated it with thin CA and let it dry. I then turned it down to size and finished with CA. It has been MM'd to 12000 and then Ultrashine applied.

The pictures don't really do it justice. It has a great shine and is slick as glass. I tried to get the effect to come through in the shots, but it really looks better than the pictures show.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_5842-web.jpg
    IMG_5842-web.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_5844-web.jpg
    IMG_5844-web.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

Great looking pen! Wonder how it would look if you didn't put the CA finish on it after turning and could feel the natural leather. Might have a problem with durability, but could be interesting. Good job!

65GTMustang

I LIKE IT!
I have been interested in leather also -
I recently have been trying to work some Ostrich leather - I have been clear casting it and the reaction is browning the leather out. I am going to try the CA method.
I did the same thing with some regular scrap leather I found in the shop - I glued it up and then applied thin CA until it would not take anymore. That pen turned out ok, the finish does not sound as nice as yours - I need to work on that part too.

Top Bottom