A Different Cartrage Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rovercat

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovercat

I had seen something similar to this some time ago and decided to give it a go. The wood is Ambonya Burl the center band is cut from the same cartridge.
Brian

200710311941_Pen%20and%20Cons.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Very nice, certainly the best I've seen in quite a while. If you want some more good ideas about cartridge pens, look in Fanger's album.

Rmartin

I love it! I've only used antler on casing pens, but was thinking the other day, I should make some with a nice wood burl. I really like the way the top and clip work together. What type of pen kit is it?

Rmartin

rovercat

What type of pen kit? Well the nib is from a slimline kit and the final is from a European. The clip just happened to fit in. I switch parts around a lot so I have a case of odds and ends.
Brian

stoneman

Really nice pen. I like this best of all the cartridge types I've seen. A real touch of class![:D]

When I get more pens under my belt I'd like to try a similar one using stained antler.

Good job!

Steve

Randy_

Brian: I like that design a lot more than the standard cartridge pen. Nice job.

Want a bit of a challenge? I wonder what a pen would look like where the head of the casing was used as the finial?

Randy_

Originally posted by Randy_
Want a bit of a challenge? I wonder what a pen would look like where the head of the casing was used as the finial?

Originally posted by Sylvanite
<br />Like this?
2007111216403_Split30-06Pen.jpg

Well, not exactly. That is a nice looking pen; but what I had in mind was a "normal" finial that was maybe 5/16" long and totally above the clip. People have differing tastes in regard to pen styles. Personally, I am old school and prefer more wood and less metal. I wouldn't even mind seeing a little less brass at the nib end of the pen. OTOH, I'm sure the metal faction love the design exactly as it is.

Randy_

How do you cut your cartridges? Personally, I'm not interested in making cartridge pens; but I'm sure there are others who will be interested in your technique. Some cartridges will be a little more difficule to cut than others so cartridge selection can be a consideration.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />[How do you cut your cartridges?
I can't speak for Brian, but so far, I've had best luck cutting cases on a table saw using a carbide tipped blade and a sled. I have a Harbor Freight mini-cut-off-saw (currently on sale for $20) on order, so I'll be trying that next.

Oh, and I've been thinking about your suggestion for a taller finial. It occured to me that one could cut the case slightly below the web (I cut it right at the web for my case head finial) and put a slimline finial inside. It would also be straightforward to notch the case and hide the clip ring inside as well. That would be a relatively easy and cheap kit modification. Thanks for the idea - I may give it a try.

Regards,
Eric

rherrell

I was wondering why this post was called a "different" cartridge pen?
As you can see, Don's tutorial is well over a year old and was my inspiration for making over 20 of this type pen.(Thank You, Don!)
Here's one of the twenty: http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/rherrell/550.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom