Did you know ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

Did you know ...

• That you can get a Zen pen and a Sierra out of one of Dawn's PR blanks, with about a thousandth of an inch to spare :eek:
  • That when ordering a bunch of Zen kits on a group buy to try out for the first time, a smart person would also have ordered the bushings :redface:
  • That if you have two sets of Jr. Gent bushings you can take the larger of the lower barrel bushings and turn a Zen pen :biggrin:
  • That when the first two blanks that you drill for the day for some Zen pens are some of Ed's cats, and you manage to blow them both up in quick succession, that you can cut them down and redrill them for a Sierra :redface: :)

Attachments

• ACT_854701.jpg
    ACT_854701.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 363
  • ACT_850607.jpg
    ACT_850607.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 258
  • ACT_850708.jpg
    ACT_850708.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The Zen has never done anything for me.. till now.
I can see this in a dark, Redwood burl or a cocobolo burl..
it gives you so much room to show off the figure of the blank!

Very nice!

bitshird

Keith, Thanks for the information, Oh never mind about the bushings though, I made my own, but nice to know about making Zen and Sierra out of one blank, should work for a Zen and an Elegant Beauty as well (the real one) that really is a great looking bunch of pens.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's a grand selection of pens Keith:biggrin:
When you say 'Sierra' is that the 'Elegant Sierra' which is similar to the Elegant Beauty?

I also like the stand. It seems more substantial than most of the ones I've seen. ( thicker )

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Did you know ...
That when the first two blanks that you drill for the day for some Zen pens are some of Ed's cats, and you manage to blow them both up in quick succession, that you can cut them down and redrill them for a Sierra :redface: :)

Boy am I glad to know that! :biggrin:

Oh, beautiful pens!

VisExp

Thanks for all the comments :)

How did you like the Zen?

Still trying to make up my mind Steve. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to write with for a long time. The transition from barrel to nib is very abrupt. It is a bit of a challenge to turn surprisingly enough. With the harder PR I was having to support the blank to reduce a slight chatter. Also getting a nice straight line from bushing to bushing requires some focus. It is definitely a good way to show off a nice blank and the magnet gets peoples attention.

When you say 'Sierra' is that the 'Elegant Sierra' which is similar to the Elegant Beauty?

I also like the stand. It seems more substantial than most of the ones I've seen. ( thicker )

Yes Steven. These are the Elegant Sierra. Similar to the Elegant Beauty, slightly bigger.

I got the stand from Penn State. It is a lot more substantial than I expected, which is good as I'm going to have to drill the bottom holes deeper. The larger pens slide out of them to easily.

You wouldn't be speaking from experience, would you?

I sure am :redface:

DurocShark

Straight lines on the Zen: I cheat. I use the 220 grit gouge on a block of wood for the last 64ths or so, regardless of the material. The skew gets it close, the paper makes it right.

I just did a bunch of stabilized burls on Zens yesterday. The paper made all the difference in the world.

Beautiful bunch of pens.

I've just completed my first few Sierra's (getting ready for Christmas) and I am lovin' 'em. So nice looking and easy enough for someone with my limited experience.

Top Bottom