Did somebody say Snakewood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Okay, so I got this freebie half blank and finally decided to use it. Freebie because it was split down the middle. Being the frugal individual I am, I ran thick CA in to the spilt on both sides and clamped it up. I figured, "Hey, it's already cracked so it shouldn't crack any more." Wrong!!! The blank went from being one piece to 4 pieces before I got the drill bit out the bottom. Still had about a half inch to go. After a few explitives, I glued it back together and let it sit for another two days. Finished drilling it and glued the tube in. Turned it the next day. Dipped lacquer finish. Yes, you can see most of the cracks where it came apart, but I think it still looks pretty good. If this one sells, it will sell out of my pocket.;) Oh, the hardware is Gold TN.

200651023431_sierraTN_snakewood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalden

Love the shape- I guess it's time to start experimenting myself...Beautiful finish- I'm just starting to play with the dipped lacquer finish myself- Do you thin yours?

alamocdc

Thanks again for the nice remarks, everyone! Lyle, I do not thin mine. I use it straight from the can, but I've been considering using a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio (lacquer:thinner, that is).

BigRob777

Billy,
Another nice pen. You really have that dip technique down pat. I'm saving my snakewood blank, until I'm much better at turning. Like my Eaglized blanks. I also really like the shape of this one. I haven't done any nice shapes on my pens yet. I look forward to some turning this summer, when things calm down for me.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom