Did I say DAMASCUS?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

I sure did! In today's mail I received this sample of a Damascus blank made by A Damascus maker here in Oklahoma Albert May, one of the problems I've had is getting Damascus rods to make these out of. I gave Paul Huffman about 15 rods and he is in the process of making some blanks for me and I'll now have a maker in Oklahoma to keep me stocked, so between them we will have them in various forms. And yes not surprising we hope to have these available soon:biggrin:

DSC_0001-006.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

THANK YOU!
Right when I wanted to try this stuff out, I couldn't find it anywhere. Ended up ordering one blank from Timberbits

OKLAHOMAN

Nic, I think your talking about M3 which is a powdered metal made to look like real Damascus carried by Timberbits, R & B grafts, Exotics and even myself , these are the real deal and as far as I know now one else has them........yet:rolleyes:

THANK YOU!
Right when I wanted to try this stuff out, I couldn't find it anywhere. Ended up ordering one blank from Timberbits

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Saaaaweeet !! I would love to get hold of more Damascus or Mokume Gane. I've only done a couple but they were very successful. Very classy stuff!!

theidlemind

I've got a 12" rod of Damascus waiting for lathe time and have a question for you Roy.
Does Damascus rust?
Do you finish with CA?
Or WD-40?? :)
Or polish and go?

Thanks in advance for any clues you can offer,
David

OKLAHOMAN

I've got a 12" rod of Damascus waiting for lathe time and have a question for you Roy.
Does Damascus rust?
Do you finish with CA?
Or WD-40?? :)
Or polish and go?

Thanks in advance for any clues you can offer,
David

Yes if it's high carbon Damascus it will rust if not protected and maintained. You can put a coat of bees wax on it , use gun oil or even johnsons paste floor wax. This needs to be done approx once every 3 months or so, living next to the water or in high humidity locations more often. If it's stainless Damascus it will not rust but stainless IMHO never has the look of carbon steel.

Charlie_W

Wow!
That does look good! This is the first time I have seen a photo of Damascus that I liked.
Are these ready to assemble or do we need to finish/polish them on our wood lathes?

Top Bottom