Did this all by myself,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

I saw an opportunity to do some work in the industrial sector marking metal parts with a laser. I recently came into a bit of cash and invested in a laser engraver. I have been studying the industrial side of laser marking parts and I can see a need in my part of the state. As a side benefit I can now broaden my pen making options. I have had the machine for 5 days now and am "getting the hang" of it. Having run out of tools to mark and can not catch the cat, I decided to mark this antler pen after running out of wood dowels to practice on. Full size Majestic in antler with full bodied elk wrapped around upper barrel. All comments appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• le 001.jpg
    le 001.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 414
  • le 002.jpg
    le 002.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 495
  • le 003.jpg
    le 003.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 418
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PR_Princess

A big thumbs up on that one Gary!! Looks very nice indeed! :cool:

Five days huh? Wow, that is quite an accomplishment! I know some folks that have had a laser for over a year, and, as far as I know haven't produced anything! Kudoz to you!!

Last edited:

lorbay

Very, Very nice. What are you going to charge if we ship the blanks to you.?????
There is a guy in Edmonton, Alberta that charges $15.00 for setup and $5.00 per unit like a small laser print like this one. + shipping there and back.

Lin.

CaptG

Very, Very nice. What are you going to charge if we ship the blanks to you.?????
There is a guy in Edmonton, Alberta that charges $15.00 for setup and $5.00 per unit like a small laser print like this one. + shipping there and back.

Lin.

Hi Lin, at the time I am still learning with a long way to go. I am not the most confuser literate person around and the more I use this thing, the more I see that I need to learn, so I am not taking on any pen jobs for a while.

Karin Voorhis

Rotory tool?

Lovely Pen. I was wondering when you lasered it if you used a Rotory tool in the laser to wrap it like that. Did you use a gold leaf to fill it?
Very nice

workinforwood

Well done Gary! That pen really rocks. Did you build your own parts too? If it's a kit, I sure don't recognize it.
I was just talking to a girl that works at a place with a laser. She was telling me about how she played with it and was lasering everything she could find. She started lasering eggs and finally ended up lasering her breakfast sausage! I was thinking that's a heck of a new market too..imagine if you had a restaurant and lasered peoples egg's, over easy!:biggrin:

CaptG

Lovely Pen. I was wondering when you lasered it if you used a Rotory tool in the laser to wrap it like that. Did you use a gold leaf to fill it?
Very nice

Well done Gary! That pen really rocks. Did you build your own parts too? If it's a kit, I sure don't recognize it.
I was just talking to a girl that works at a place with a laser. She was telling me about how she played with it and was lasering everything she could find. She started lasering eggs and finally ended up lasering her breakfast sausage! I was thinking that's a heck of a new market too..imagine if you had a restaurant and lasered peoples egg's, over easy!:biggrin:

Beautiful job and your not to far from me HE HE

Karin, yes I used a rotary tool and there is NO fill. The antler was a drop that had a lot of color from age. I turned the blank, soaked it in peroxide for 48 hours and the long soak turned it almost pure white, just a touch of color was left on the outside.
The laser exposed the natural color underneath.

Jeff, kit is a full size Majestic. I had a friend tell me how he turned a laser down to 1% power and lasered tattoos on his hand. After igniting a blank there is no way I would try that,lol.

Rich, come on over, would love to meet you. Bring something you want to burn...er, I mean engrave.

Karin Voorhis

Gary Thanks so super much for your info now you got me going...

I threw a frozen hotdog in the laser adn put my buddies name and number on it because he liked a girl that worked at a corner hotdog stand :cool: turned out nice. however nasty smell in shop for 2 days forget that ever again.

Top Bottom