Dichro and French mustard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This is my latest effort. One of PR Princess' Dichroic glass blanks which I think was made for a Sierra. If you have ever seen one of these blanks then you will know that they are extremely camera shy but they change colour with any movement. I made a clear screw on cap for it. The stainless bands had to be so wide to hide and support the threads. A real sod to polish the inside and it still needs more.

2008630181753_Dichroopen.jpg

2008630181844_dichrocapped.jpg

Next is a Baron with curved segmented PR. It was meant to look a bit French but could just be a Pepsi[:I] I used heat to ensure the joints were nice and clean.

2008630182243_VivaLaFrance.jpg

Finally a Sedona with PR cast mustard seeds. This one actually turned much easier than I expected.

2008630182957_mustard.jpg

All the PR is of course Dawn's. :D

All comments welcome, good or bad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Nice job I really like the clear top. I have an idea I was working on that required a clear tube and polishing the inside. So I know that can be quite chalanging polishing the inside of a tube. Good Job [^]
The mustard seeds look great that was on my list to do.

VERY NICE

Bruce

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great work, Skippy!!!

That's the best pic I have seen of the dichro and, of course, your "interpretation" with the see-through cap is amazing!!

Mustard seed IS surprisingly easy, if the seed centers don't start flying out!!

Curved PR is just "out of my league".

Nice pens, good job!!

PR_Princess

Steven, simply brilliant!..... Very impressive - AGAIN!!! [:p][:p][:p]

It always astounds me just what your imagination can muster using a few nuts, bolts and a bits of plastic! :D:D:D

(Not to mention that you ALWAYS make my blanks look sooooo good. Better than they deserve I think!)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by PR_Princess

(Not to mention that you ALWAYS make my blanks look sooooo good. Better than they deserve I think!)

[:I]Lets settle on 'Team Effort' shall we?

Thanks for all the comments, :D from the Team;)

redfishsc

That glass pen is simply stunning. Marvelous!

Seems to me like turning mustard seed would wreck havoc on someone's sinus allergies, but the pen looks great!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by hebertjo

Skip -

When you said you apply heat to ensure a tight fit do you also glue the layers together? What is the heat source? torch?

Thanks

John, first I used Andrew Kirkham's method of cutting 'Swirling Blanks'. It's in the 2006 library. I tried to put a link but it crashed on me.
I sanded the bandsaw cut marks out completely, then clamped the pieces together without glue. Then with a heat gun, slowly warmed up the clamped up parts. This allows all the parts to form to each other perfectly without any gaps or stresses on the joints. When it is cold, remove the clamps and just glue up as normal.

thefunkyP

Awesome pen designs! I have to say though that the mustard seed one is quite striking. I think it may just be my favorite. I think that one would look especially nice as a closed end fountain pen, with maybe some nice mustard yellow ink or even a nice contrasting blue ink! Oh no! did I just try to match ink and pen...what is happening to me...I feel kind of weird. Anyway, great looking pens, Skip!

Top Bottom