Diamante

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

Diamonds that is, for a Princess :biggrin: One of Dawn's Ruby Red single resin blanks inlaid with wood veneers and brass. The three different materials, PR, wood and brass, proved interesting gluing together and finishing the pen.

Thanks for looking and your comments and critiques are appreciated.

1_ACT_732105.jpg

1_ACT_732206.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Keith, between you akbar24601 (Steve) and our friend from across the pond Mr. Rat, you all blow my mind. Well done my friend.

bad

Keith that's an amazing pen. After seeing your pen and a couple of other pens posted lately I realize just how much I have to learn. You just set the bar a little higher for the rest of us :)

PR_Princess

Gosh Keith, now I am embarrassed!:embarrassed:

Wonderful job - as usual!!!:worship: I really like the white and brass of the inlay and how well it compliments the Sierra. Very delicate looking, and very, very pretty!

BTW that blank looks familiar..now where could I have seen it before???:rolleyes:

VisExp

Thank you for the comments everyone :)

Beautiful pen. I'm just getting started into pens with bands etc. What thickness brass did you use? What type of adhesive did you use?

Bill I used 36 gauge brass. It is 0.005" thick. The laminates were glued together with Gorilla Glue and I used 5 minute epoxy to glue them into the blank.

Finally.......... a keeper! :biggrin:

As usual, great job. So, did you do a ca finish over the whole thing to protect the wood or what?

Thanks George. When I started skydiving photography a friend gave me some great advice. He told me to make a lot of jumps, take a load of pictures and only show people the good ones :wink:

Good catch on the finish. It took a couple attempts to figure out what to do. After my final pass with the skew I soaked the veneer with thin CA, allowing it to wick into the wood, trying to keep it off the PR as much as possible. Then I just finished it like a regular PR blank. Given that I wet sanded and finished with a polish of McGuires Plastix and the white veneer did not stain I figured that it must have been sealed by the CA.

leehljp

Member Liaison
VERY nice pen. This is the kind that takes pen making up at least a couple of notches! Congratulations on another great pen!

Last edited:

bitshird

Keith, as usual you did an outstanding job, although I am starting to think maybe you Floridians are some how cheating, it's not fair that you guys can make such killer pens, while some of us are condemned to mediocrity. :):):)

VisExp

I am starting to think maybe you Floridians are some how cheating, it's not fair that you guys can make such killer pens, while some of us are condemned to mediocrity. :):):)

LOL. Ken to be fair, we do have an advantage in that we can be in the workshop twelve months of the year :wink:

Top Bottom