Desk set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

Closed-end Mahagony with Maple Streamlines on Mahagony base

Sorry for the pics, it was just too cold in my shop to set up properly.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• desk3.jpg
    desk3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 230
  • desk2.jpg
    desk2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 205
  • desk1.jpg
    desk1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 200
  • segment2.jpg
    segment2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

that's a fantastic combo of woods. I don't know of any other wood that has the chatoyance and depth of color of mahogany. It's usually kinda plain for a pen, but the maple veneer set's it off perfectly. I bet the pens change to a totally different color, depending on what angle you are looking at it from and where the light is from.

Rmartin

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Was it quite difficult and time consuming? You have more patience than I.

Thanks for the nice comments.

It's not difficult at all! Cutting the pieces is the biggest concern, but with a good setup, it's not that big a deal. I glued the pieces together while watching the football game last week. I used 2 of the tubes of CA in the pic during glue up. I used 1 more tube while turning and the 4th for the finish. The 4 pack costs 99 cent at Walmart.

I finished it today with a new Beall buffing system I just set up.

The customer's budget would not allow for a true 360 herrinbone, but I still wanted to do something nice. It's being gifted to go on a local VP banker's desk.

I believe it is true Brazilian mahagony, but I can't be sure. I got a 4" x 4" x 6 ft piece free! It had been hidden away for over 30 years.

Top Bottom