Desk pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbthbt

jbthbt

After seeing some of the the incredibly inspirational work done by Yo-yo Spin, I had a revelation. I was always so frustrated by the amount of beautiful texture that was lost in turning a pen out of antler, and I'm a huge sucker for a desk pen, so I found my happiness in combining those. These require a lot of off lathe work and some of it tends to be pretty dangerous and hard on the hands. I've tried many different methods of holding the tine while you drill it and aside from making a cast of each tine that you can clamp, holding them by hand has proven to be the most effective method for me.

They are surprisingly comfortable to write with. They seem a little bulky and you have to take great care to get the balance right when designing them. They are made from different combinations of mule deer, white tail, axis, and elk. These are just a few of the examples I've made, but they sell like hotcakes when you have the right crowd. Hope they serve to inspire someone else.

P.S. I apologize for the quality of the pictures. My wife has the tripod in the trunk of her car so I wasn't able to get the consistency I prefer.

Attachments

• IMG_0001(2).jpg
    IMG_0001(2).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0002(2).jpg
    IMG_0002(2).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0004(2).jpg
    IMG_0004(2).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0005(2).jpg
    IMG_0005(2).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0006(2).jpg
    IMG_0006(2).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

I like it!! You'd want to make sure to not reach up and scratch your nose with that one - could be fatal! : ) I'm working on something along the same line. A spin off of the yoyospin. Great work. Thanks for sharing it.

Martin

jbthbt

@boxerman, I use Baron's and PSI Tycoon's. I prefer the Baron's but when I run out I'll use a Tycoon. Anyone have any need for baron clips and caps, because I think I have about 50 of them?

Top Bottom