See more from Umeubbe

Umeubbe

Hey Guys!

Design is certainly not easy. Slimline? :redface:

DSC_0023.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

It looks like you got your finish working well now Urban . I'm not a fan of the shape , I prefer a more streamline shape or straight bushing to bushing but you did a good job overall .

Umeubbe

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Form is very difficult, and even finish. I think we feel different from country to country in terms of these things. I have made a total of maybe 10-12 pens until today and the people who have seen them say that the cigar model is too heavy and big and that moderate surface is prettier than a shiny surface, but we Swedes are probably a bit weird. :biggrin:
I do not think myself that the last pen was successful but I wanted to test and see how it looks. I can not see it in advance how it will look like, but this model I will not do again, I promise. :redface:

ldb2000

Urban , you make the pens the way you want to make them . The only one who counts is you . We all have our own styles and that is what makes this a great hobby . If you are going to sell them then you have to make styles that will sell but if you are doing it for enjoyment then just enjoy making them .

Lenny

Urban, one thing you might want to consider doing with the slimline kit is to make your own centerband. By doing so you have more choices in the shape of your pen.
Check out Russ Fairfield's site for lots of good information....
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pens.html

And I have to agree .... people in my area sure seem to prefer the slimmer pens to the Cigars. :)

bitshird

Urban I guess I'm a bit weird, I like your pen, I do some similar to that but I fit to the nib and finial we call it wasp waist, since it is shaped like a wasp, but Lenny is right about making your own center band, with or with out a tube on the inside of it, using a contrasting piece of wood makes a dramatic difference, In fact you really don't even need a center band.

stevers

Looks good Urban. And if it makes you feel better,,,,,,,,,,,,most of us started out making that shape. It's just natural for some reason. Maybe it feels safer to keep a little meat on there. :) :)

Jgrden

Urban, one thing you might want to consider doing with the slimline kit is to make your own centerband. By doing so you have more choices in the shape of your pen.
Check out Russ Fairfield's site for lots of good information....
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pens.html

And I have to agree .... people in my area sure seem to prefer the slimmer pens to the Cigars. :)
Lenny, excellent suggestion.

Umeubbe

Yes, thanks for the proposal Lenny.

It is clear that if you make a bigger ring, I can increase the diameter of the pen without that waist. That idea I had never thought of myself. :redface:

Thanks again.

Lenny

Yes, thanks for the proposal Lenny.

It is clear that if you make a bigger ring, I can increase the diameter of the pen without that waist. That idea I had never thought of myself. :redface:

Thanks again.

Urban, just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply anything was wrong with the one shown. It's funny but some people will go right for the ones that are a little different. Nothing wrong with using your imagination and seeing what people like. :)

ldb2000

Hi Urban , slimline pens are very versatile and there are allot of different things you can do with them to make them more interesting . Check out the Penmakers Challenge in the Advanced Penmaking forum http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61805
We are taking regular kit pens , slimline and cigar , and modifying them with different centerbands and other modifications . There are some great pens shown there that might give you some ideas on how to change the look of the basic kits .

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
After 15 years of pen making I have realized that no matter what I try when designing a pen, someone will want it. I carry a bag of pens that I made while "trying something different" and thought them to be goofy looking and pretty much give-aways. Last week while doing a demo at Rockler a young man with disabilities stayed and watched the entire demo and asked questions about the process. As I often do, at the end of the demo I offered him his choice of pens from the bag and he picked the one that I was pretty sure I would take apart and salvage the pieces for something else. One man's trash is another man's treasure. As has been said, it's your pen and you can do what you want with it wheather design or disposal. JMTC
B

Umeubbe

Lenny.

I understand what you mean and are just grateful for your tips on making yourself a bigger ring. I'll try it at the appropriate time :)

ldb2000

I will do as you say and read the thread, always learns something, thanks.

Wood Butcher

You are absolutely right that you say that we all have different tastes and it is fortunate that it is so.

Top Bottom