See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

Some more of Dario's wood.... amazing stuff, and really tough.... stinky too :D

<center>
DesertIronwoodJG.jpg
</center>

Added a few extra coats of CA on this one... tried to fill the tiny little bit of chipping that occured on top barrel and succeeded a little .... but also made it very shiny! [:p]

What, if anything, do y'all do to try and avoid that chipping?... that is, once you know that a certain wood may be prone to chipping...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

James,
When you drill the DIW, drill slowly and clear often -- they can clog the bit and overheat, causing cracking. That's some nice stuff to turn though.
Hmmmm, 40 huh? What'cha been doing?

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />James,
When you drill the DIW, drill slowly and clear often -- they can clog the bit and overheat, causing cracking. That's some nice stuff to turn though.

Glad ya liked my pen Gary [;)]

The drill bits were getting real warm... had to clear the bit several times and just let the drill spin to cool the bit...

GaryMGg

Marc,
Yep -- got caught up in the moment and forgot that part. [8] I do like it.
I like the selection of kit and wood, and the finish looks real smart. Don't see
any underturning either. All in all, that's a winner. [;)]

jjenk02

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />James,

I've been trying to complete the duck work on my new DC system, still have a ways to go..

Dario

Marc,

Use a skew and the old mantra...sharp tool, light cuts.

A sharp scraper may work too but for me it, produces less desirable results.

If you want to fill the voids (and this is by preference)...try spot filling the deeper ones with thick or med CA first. Let it cure then sand to bare wood. Apply your finish afterwards...you will get a glass like finish.

Good job btw!

chitswood

Marc, looks like you did a good job, but I just wanted to add that I especially appreciate pens where the shine doesn't outdo the wood. I've seen pens where the CA finish makes it harder to appreciate the actual figure underneath.

Dario

Darick,

Done right, a good finish will enhance the wood under. Don't be folled by the shine line you see in pics...in person you can look at the pen w/o seing that [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom