Desert Ironwood Imperial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JBCustomPens

JBCustomPens

Hey Guys,

This pen is an Imperial dressed with beautiful Desert Ironwood from Rodney. Comments and questions are all welcome.:)

Have a good one!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulSF

So I turned the Desert Ironwood on the mandrel, and then my 60-degree live and dead centers arrived in the mail after sanding. I've just tried doing BLO/CA on the blanks without using the mandrel. Tomorrow I'm going to polish and see how it turns out. It seems harder to get the CA onto the ends of the barrel when turning between centers. I know, I know, get the delrin bushings, but I don't HAVE the delrin bushings. So the jury is out. I may have to pop this back on the mandrel again. We shall see.

But oh, if the finish turns out nicely, and if I don't frack up the assembly (and that's a huge IF), this Desert Ironwood will make a Beayoooooootifull pen.

JBCustomPens

So I turned the Desert Ironwood on the mandrel, and then my 60-degree live and dead centers arrived in the mail after sanding. I've just tried doing BLO/CA on the blanks without using the mandrel. Tomorrow I'm going to polish and see how it turns out. It seems harder to get the CA onto the ends of the barrel when turning between centers. I know, I know, get the delrin bushings, but I don't HAVE the delrin bushings. So the jury is out. I may have to pop this back on the mandrel again. We shall see.

But oh, if the finish turns out nicely, and if I don't frack up the assembly (and that's a huge IF), this Desert Ironwood will make a Beayoooooootifull pen.

I found it hard to finish at first, (I just got my centers too:)) but you can stick the paper towel right up the centers and it won't wrap up or get glue on the centers. It will take some getting used to, but you will grow to like it.:biggrin:

I don't even use bushings anymore, I round out, smooth, sand and polish all without bushings between centers. It is not as hard as you think.:)

Have a good one!

Top Bottom