Desert Ironwood Hybrid Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

OK... here's the deal on this one.

The insignia is a Coast Guard Cuttermans insignia... I just finished a couple of pens for some Navy guys and the clips on the Euro pens just doesn't look right to me... way too big for the pen in my opinion.

So... I had just received my first order of Hybrid Cigar pens, and was looking at all those parts just sorta seeing how it all goes together, when it hit me; If I could drill out the clip, I could put it on the Hybrid because of the way it screws together...

.... so I drilled it out, and there it is. There is a gap because the ring of the clip is not the same diameter as the cigar clip ring, but oh well...

And... since this was now going to be MY pen, I grabbed some Desert Ironwood.... man, gotta love that wood! I did have a chip out but repaired it and it is now invisible (except to me cause I know where it is!)

Also (sorry for blabbing) I read Russ's reply to my question in the Finishing forum and applied it to this pen... and it reallly does seem to make a difference... this finish is really good... at least I would say it is better than my other finishes on other pens!

I really like the way the clip size seems to match the pen size... I will be doing this again when I need to use those custom clips....

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• CuttermanDIpen.JPG
    CuttermanDIpen.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 234
  • CuttermanDIpen2.JPG
    CuttermanDIpen2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

nicely improvised! Di is one of my favorites. Do a search on recessing or hiding clips and you can take care of the gap on the next one! Too nice of a pen and idea to settle for an "oh well", go ahead and take the next step!

Marc Phillips

More to learn?

nicely improvised! Di is one of my favorites. Do a search on recessing or hiding clips and you can take care of the gap on the next one! Too nice of a pen and idea to settle for an "oh well", go ahead and take the next step!

AAaaaagghhh!! (hehehe)

Baby steps.... baby steps... :)

I will go read and learn, learn, learn... you guys are gonna make my head explode! (sure is fun though!)

Top Bottom